Feel Good Friday: Involvement Fair to be in person on Monday

0
54
Fall Involvement Fair - UConntact
Students gather together for the involvement fair in order to join new clubs, programs, and meet new people. The upcoming fall involvement fair will be the first in person fair since the pandemic began (Photo courtesy of UConntact).

On Monday on Fairfield Way, the University of Connecticut Department of Student Activities will hold its first in-person involvement fair in more than a year, following the virtual involvement fair held last fall due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The annual event will include 450 student clubs and organizations for students to explore and get involved with. Clubs and organizations will be stationed at tables to engage with new students and talk about their groups offer, the Student Activities office said. The involvement fair will be held from 2 to 7 p.m. and is open to all students.  

Kristen Carr, the interim associate director of leadership & organizational development,

student involvement & organization support and data systems manager, said there is a new energy to this involvement fair, as many clubs had to take a hiatus during the pandemic.

“Student organizations have been awaiting a return to the Involvement Fair and to be able to rebuild their clubs with new energy,” Carr said. “Groups are also posting on UConntact — an involvement fair that is open all year — and [they] are really getting ready to run activities and events.” 

Carr also said while there were challenges last year, she believes clubs are still strong and crucial to the UConn student experience. 

“While connections were more challenging for students last year, hundreds of student groups stayed together in the virtual world because they believed in their groups and their friends,” Carr said. “Involvement in clubs and university programs has been shown to be an absolutely crucial way to get connected and grow and we are expecting a great turnout.”

Carr also recognized the  pandemic is not over, and Student Activities has taken precautions to make students as comfortable and safe as possible. 

“Student Activities has been working closely with the university to follow all campus and state guidance related to in-person outdoor events this fall,” Carr said. “We are also encouraging masks as we anticipate a large turnout. We want to help keep our community safe.”

As some students may not yet be comfortable attending a large in-person event or  might have scheduling conflicts, a virtual involvement fair  will be held on Friday, Sept. 17 from 12 to 2 p.m. on UConntact.