UConn vs. Purdue: How will the Huskies rebound?

0
54

After an embarrassing loss at the hands of Holy Cross, the University of Connecticut football team will attempt to earn its first win of the season at home against the Purdue Boilermakers.
The Huskies, fresh off the 10-point loss to Holy Cross and the resignation of head coach Randy Edsall, have truly hit rock bottom. But that means there’s nowhere to go but up, and this Saturday is a great place to start for the team. Interim head coach Lou Spanos will look to fix the problems Edsall created for the team. Spanos has moved backup quarterback Steven Krajewski into the starting role for the Huskies after the mediocre play of Jack Zergiotis in UConn’s two games this season.

“​​There’s not an aspect of this offense that Steven [Krajewski] doesn’t understand,” quarterback coach Mike Moyseenko told The Hartford Courant “Through this time, I think Steven has started to gain a lot of confidence in his arm and his ability to make throws, throw the ball on time, and all that good stuff.”Purdue, after disposing of Oregon State 30-21, will bring a talented team into Connecticut. Junior quarterback Jack Plummer is coming off a phenomenal game for the Boilermakers, as he threw for 313 yards and two touchdowns while completing 70.7% of his passes.

Plummer is certainly not alone on the field for Purdue, as he is joined by receivers Jackson Anthrop and David Bell. Payne Durham has also been great for the Boilermakers at tight end, putting up two touchdowns and 120 receiving yards last game. Linebacker Jalen Graham and safety Cam Allen help anchor Purdue’s defense, which is sure to make the Huskies fight for yards on Saturday.

A miracle win for the Huskies would mark the first win against an FBS team since 2019. Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm seems to understand the excitement on UConn’s sideline.
“I know their guys will be energized, fired up, and ready to play,” Brohm said. “[They’ve] got a Big Ten opponent coming into their stadium, and when that happens, teams get ready to play.”
For the Huskies, the key to stopping Purdue will be limiting their passing game and forcing them to run the ball much more than the Boilermakers are used to. With such a vast array of different offensive weapons, Purdue will be quick to take advantage of UConnif its secondary slips up. While Purdue’s running game is not its strong suit, fifth-year running back Zander Horvath won’t be handing the UConn defense any favors.
Kickoff for Saturday’s game is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Rentschler Field. The game will be nationally televised on CBS Sports Network.