Wednesday, May 1, 2024
HomeSportsUConn Women’s Soccer Recap: Huskies return to winning ways, rout Syracuse 5-0

UConn Women’s Soccer Recap: Huskies return to winning ways, rout Syracuse 5-0

The UConn women’s soccer team defeated Syracuse 3-0 on Sunday, Sept. 12 to secure its fourth win of the season. The Huskies (4-2-0) returned to winning ways after their 5-0 loss to Brown University on Thursday, Sept. 9. Moreover, this win marked the 19th victory over Syracuse in the all-time series. This game ended the Orange’s (4-2-1) four game unbeaten run, and marks their second loss of the season.  

The Huskies had the best possible start to the match, as they scored two minutes into the contest. Forwards Jaydah Bedoya and Jada Konte combined to find midfielder Cara Jordan, who was able to smash it past Syracuse goalkeeper Lysianne Proulx to open the scoring.  

UConn would not be content with only one goal, however. The Huskies kept their intensity high and made life incredibly hard for the Orange’s offense, thanks in large part to the efforts by the backline, which consisted of defenders Jackie Harnett, Evelyn Arsenault, Kara Long and Chloe Landers. Just as influential to UConn’s success were the defensive efforts by the forward trio, which consisted of Isabelle Lynch, Jaydah Bedoya and Jada Konte.  

The Huskies’ press and defensive efforts would pay off in the 33rd minute, when forward Duda Santin came off the bench and found the back of the net; Bedoya was able to find the substitute to secure her second assist of the match.  

UConn finished the half with 12 shots in comparison to the Orange’s five, and forced five saves out of Syracuse goalkeeper Lysianne Proulx.  

The second half would be more of the same from a Husky team that would not let up. Midfielders Lucy Cappadona, Emma Zaccagnini and Cara Jordan created chance after chance in Syracuse’s final third while Lynch, Bedoya and Konte continued to make runs in Syracuse’s final third.  

While the Huskies’ offense continued to thrive, the Orange’s attack simply could not get it going. Midfielders Liesel Odden, Pauline Machtens, Telly Vunipola and Koby Commandant were shut down throughout the entirety of the half, creating next to nothing.  

UConn’s persistence, combined with a stagnant Syracuse side, foreshadowed what was to come, which would be a third Husky goal. Zaccagnini played a ball which found Cappadona, who was able to slide it past Proulx to make it 3-0 with a little over half-an-hour remaining.  

While time did still remain, the Orange’s morale had been crushed beyond repair. Thus, UConn was able to play out the final 30 minutes and secure the victory against their bitter rivals.  

UConn now sits in eighth place in the Big East standings, with 3-1-0 at home. On the other hand, Syracuse fell to 13th in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), and are now 1-1-0 on the road.  

The Huskies now get set to face the University of Buffalo on Saturday, Sept. 18 at 1 p.m., while Syracuse prepares to take on Notre Dame on Saturday, Sept. 18. 

Previous article
Next article
Sebastian Garay-Ortega
Sebastian Garay-Ortega is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sebastian.garay-ortega@uconn.edu.