Rapid Fire: Ultimate Halloween costume 

0
61
In the Daily Campus Opinion section, writers have wildly differing opinions and answers to the question of what Halloween costume they would adopt given unlimited resources. Illustration by Kaitlyn Tran/The Daily Campus

If we’re lucky in the Opinion section, we work through our beliefs completely and support them with great arguments. But sometimes, we don’t need a deeper reason to hold our convictions. Rapid Fire is for those tweet-length takes that can be explained in just a sentence or two — no more justification needed.   

In this Rapid Fire, writers gave their opinions on the question: If you had unlimited resources, essentially all the money in the world and plenty of time, what would your Halloween costume be?  

Madeline Papcun, Opinion Editor: Definitely a hyper-realistic costume of Cousin Itt from The Addams Family. I made one once in elementary school but with yarn instead of hair — it was close, but just not enough. Some desire from deep within me needs to be a screen-accurate anthropomorphic mop for a night, though a Morticia or Wednesday Addams costume might be easier… 

Nell Srinath, Associate Opinion Editor: The midpoint in an Animorph, for sure. With all the money in the world, I could employ the most sophisticated and least legal of the sciences to temporarily alter my DNA to be part-Nell-part-scorpion, fulfilling my dream of being the weirdest little guy possible. And of course, I’d finish the costume with a staple Animorphs prop — millions of dollars. 

Grace Sim, Contributor: Wicked is one of my favorite musicals of all time, so it would be nice to dress up as Elphaba and paint myself green. Something erasable though… 

Harrison Raskin, Editor-in-Chief: Only God has unlimited resources, so in this hypothetical I would be God already, therefore “dressing up” as God for Halloween as well. A side perk would be that because the form of God is unknown to man, I would not be able to be perceived, so I would be invisible and could take all candy from each house.  

Owen Silverman, Weekly Columnist: Given that the closest person to possessing unlimited resources and money is Elon Musk, I would dress up as a lizard, a costume that secretly reveals my true identity while disguised as a harmless practical joke. Only God — Harrison — will know the truth of my material form, while the rest of you will simply think I’ve lost it.  

Sam Zelin, Managing Editor: In protest of Halloween, a holiday I despise, I’m always looking for a creative way to not dress up. One I’m particularly fond of is a fun spin on Washington Irving’s classic Headless Horseman character from “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” Instead of a scary ghoul, without a head and in possession of a horse, I’d be “the Horseless Headsman.” I have no horse, but I do have my head, and plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future.