Wednesday, May 8, 2024
HomeLifeSpring songs for when spring has finally sprung 

Spring songs for when spring has finally sprung 

There are some great songs that make spring sound even better. Read more to find out what to add onto your spring playlist. Illustration by Christian Barbara/The Daily Campus.

Who cares if it’s February? Mariah Carey and Michael Bublé arose from their hibernation right after Oct. 31, so I think it’s fair if we released a spring playlist a month and a half early. Just as the famous poem goes, “March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers,” this playlist is all about the final relieving, rejuvenating feeling of romance and confidence that culminates throughout the season. 

In March, the atmosphere changes and winds are at an all-time high. Adjusting to new circumstances might be rocky while climbing out of that inevitable seasonal depression. Winds, although it might have a negative connotation, also bring clarity. Think of this: If you walk directly against the wind, it will brush your hair out of your face, et voilà, you can see again! So which song matches the wind-clattering, clarity-provoking features of March? 

“Ho Hey” by an American folk-rock band, The Lumineers, lives to represent this meaning behind March. Released in June 2012, “Ho Hey” became the Lumineers’ most-played song on their debut album and their entire discography. In 2016, the Lumineers’ frontman, Wesley Schultz, reported to Songwriting Magazine the behind-the-scenes of their biggest hit. Covered by the shadows cast upon by the clouds of March, Schultz was, too, stuck in the perpetual, endless cycle of hopelessness. As he recounts, “I moved to [New York] City to get better at music, but I’m getting better at making espressos and being a bartender!” He elaborates on the meaning behind the song, recalling it as a message that represents “as much about my relationship with the city as it [is] about going through a break-up.” Like the mind-clearing wind of March, Schultz found his clarity and purpose in songwriting. 

Additional March songs include “You Could Start A Cult (with Lizzy McAlpine)” by Niall Horan, “Would That I” by Hozier, “invisible string” by Taylor Swift  and “Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles. 

But with clouds and winds come rain and storms. Although these might sound like bad things, they aren’t! April is just the preparatory period for the blossoming that happens in the consequent month. It teaches us patience and being present and optimistic in the little things. 

“Banana Pancakes,” a solely acoustic song sung by Jack Johnson, the creator behind the friendly soundtrack album for the famous kids show, “Curious George,” was released along with his album, “In Between Dreams,” in January 2005. 

In March 2015, Johnson had an interview with MetroLyrics, revealing how the famous song, or the song that “people connect with the most” came to be. He reminisced about singing the most direct line of “Banana Pancakes,” for the very first time to his wife, saying “You hardly even notice when I try to show you this song that’s meant to keep you from doing what you’re supposed to.” Romantically and humorously, this line, sung in response to her not paying full attention to him showing her another song he wrote that never got published, was the beginning of it all. Just as she got used to the process of his constant songwriting, the progression of “Banana Pancakes” relates to that of April: The need to be in the moment and to be appreciative of everything, even the repetitiveness of guitar chords and lyrical thoughts and the dreariness of April’s preparatory, rainy nature. 

Additional April songs include “I Knew” by Lizzy McAlpine, “4EVER” by Clairo and “Lovers Rock” by TV Girl. 

Finally, we reach the last part of the phrase, “May flowers,” but not the last month of the season, which is, well, of course, May. From windy skies to rainy clouds, May is a chance for regrowth, rejuvenation and an individualistic rebirth specific to each person. 

“Put Your Records On,” released in February 2006, by Corinne Bailey Rae undoubtedly captures the phoenix-like aspect that May reflects. 

According to The Guardian, Bailey Rae’s “Put Your Records On” was created to impose a reflection of “female fortitude,” which encompasses the strength, persistence, courage and determination within women while they face adversity. Old Time Music reports that Bailey Rae’s lyrics were a musical protest and advocacy against the cultural biases that surround natural hair and skin tones when she noticed the trend of young girls bleaching their hair and tanning their skin to obtain a more socially acceptable and advantageous appearance. Dishearteningly, Bailey Rae created this empowering, classic song to encourage everyone to embrace their individuality and to practice self-love. 

Additional May songs include “Mercy Mercy Me” by Marvin Gaye, “Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)” by Edison Lighthouse and “Man! I Feel Like A Woman!” by Shania Twain. 

Spring gracefully ends with June’s uplifting presence in its symbolic nature of stability and strength, an elaborated stance built upon May. 

Harry Styles, the human symbol for the ambiguity of spring and summer, released “Golden,” the ideal song to reflect June’s beachy-free-soul-esque complexion, along with the album, “Fine Line,” in December 2019. 

Encroaching on summer’s territory, June represents the freedom and individuality of truly living. Styles’ music video for Golden revels in this aspect. “Along with his running through the streets,” says The DiamondBack News, “the video also features him dancing in his blue suit, driving down the coast, swimming and playing on rocks,” which is all very in tune with the carefree essence of June. Styles himself, in an interview with Zane Lowe in 2019, reflected, “[‘Golden’ is] like driving down the coast. That is what the song is for. It feels so Malibu to me.” The euphonic instrumentals, particularly the trumpets, make for a source of “joy,” which is what Styles hoped for in making this song, “I wanted to make a video that encapsulated that.” After a long academic year, an IV drip of “Golden” — an instantaneous serotonin boost — is just what students need.  

Additional June Songs include “Fearless” by Taylor Swift, “Say My Name” by Prince of Eden and “Ghost of Chicago” by Noah Floersch 

Getting back to school and starting the second semester may be rough, but, hopefully, with this spring playlist, dreams and longing feelings for palm trees and free time won’t seem as unattainable.