65 F
Wednesday, May 8, 2024
HomeLifeWalking on thin ice: A guide on how to avoid slips this...

Walking on thin ice: A guide on how to avoid slips this winter  

The ice on sidewalks and roads can be very dangerous. Read more to find out how to prepare yourself to travel safely without any injuries. Illustration by Sarah Chantres/The Daily Campus.

With weather in Storrs appearing to be severe this winter, students find themselves in dismay while they trek through the tough climates to make it to their classes. Sheets of ice hide on busy pathways which raises the concern of accidents and slips. Navigating those slippery walkways can be intimidating, so here are a few tips to avoid dangerous falls and severe harm. 

Get a good pair of footwear 

If you plan on staying in a location with freezing temperatures, such as Connecticut, it may be a smart idea to invest in a pair of boots with traction underneath. From snow to ice, a well-made pair will improve your daily voyage and increase your safety. Look for a pair that doubles as waterproof, to keep your feet dry, and bomus points if it has sturdy ankle support. If you want to avoid the hassle of shoe shopping, some companies have invented ice grippers that you can attach to your shoe as well. 

Tread slow and steady 

This may seem obvious, but it can become easy to forget how slippery it is when you’re late to class. Running is never a good idea in this frigid weather, when hidden ice patches are common. Walk at a reasonable pace, so even if you do feel yourself begin to slip, you are better able to stop yourself from completely falling. Walk with your knees bent to ensure your center of gravity is closer to the ground. Simple changes like this will help you keep your balance stable. The “penguin walk” is another effective stance to do and a fun way to memorize the ideal form. This entails pointing your feet outward and shuffling as you walk. The key is to always remain calm and focused during icy conditions. 

Keep your hands free 

It can become more difficult to control your balance while holding additional weight. It’s better to pack as much as you can into your backpack and ditch any extra objects that you would typically haul to class. Having items obstructing your view may become an extra obstacle and make it tough to remain stable while walking. 

Choose cleared paths 

Although it can sometimes be hard to spot, try to avoid ice patches. Walk on the grit whether that be salted paths or dirt. If you find yourself on ice, try to crouch a bit and bring your weight slightly forward. It’s always better to fall forward than on your back to avoid a head injury. Although you can’t control public walkways, keep the area in which you live clear. If able, shovel immediately after snowstorms to prevent ice and spread salt to melt any remains. 

How to fall safely 

If all else fails and you feel yourself fall, try to land on your side and protect your head. If you are already crouching, the impact of the fall will hurt less. It is important to avoid falling onto your arms because of the possibility of breaking them. Practice safely with a friend in advance so you know what to expect. And lastly, don’t be embarrassed, it happens to the best of us!