46 F
Saturday, May 4, 2024
HomeSportsMen’s Hockey: Huskies split weekend with No. 10 Providence 

Men’s Hockey: Huskies split weekend with No. 10 Providence 

UConn men’s hockey suffers their thirteenth loss of the season against Providence College at the Toscano Family Ice Forum on Feb. 2, 2024. Despite losing Friday’s match with a score of 0-5, the Huskies won the rematch the very next day at Providence. Photo by Skyler Kim/The Daily Campus.

The UConn men’s hockey team was set for a tall task heading into this weekend to face ranked No. 10 Providence. It was a home-and-home series that started in Storrs, Conn. at the Toscano Family Ice Forum on Friday for a white-out game.  

From the puck drop, the Huskies did not get off to the best start in the first period as sophomore Samu Salminen was issued with a five-minute major penalty and a game misconduct for contact to the head. Following these penalty calls in the opening period, Providence scored two goals and took the 2-0 lead over the Huskies going into the break. It is important to note that Hockey East also announced on Saturday morning the supplemental discipline of Salminen and his one-game suspension, which would leave him unable to play in UConn’s series finale game against Providence. 

In the second period, the Huskies had multiple opportunities to cut the Friars’ lead as they outshot Providence 14-8, however they had difficulties finding the back of the net. Providence goaltender Philip Svedeback played tough defense against UConn and kept them scoreless in the second frame. The Friars were able to net another goal before the period ended and went into the break with a 3-0 lead over the Huskies. 

The Huskies generated power play opportunities in the third period, but continued to struggle on the offense and finished 0-2 on the night. Providence did not let up for the rest of the period, outshooting UConn 13-5 and finding the net two more times to seal the 5-0 victory. This loss  made for the second straight game the Huskies dropped against a ranked opponent after losing to Quinnipiac last weekend in the championship round of the annual CT Ice Tournament.  

The Ice Bus went to Providence, R.I., to wrap up the last game of the home and home series with the Friars at Schneider Arena. 

After a tough match with the Friars in Storrs, the Huskies turned it around and bounced back on Saturday night. The first period was filled with penalties, and both sides’ special teams were hard at work. UConn saw success early as they held Providence scoreless on their three power plays. However, the Friars scored a goal late in the first period, but the official blew the play dead, issuing a goaltender interference penalty on Providence. On a power play of their own, UConn found the back of the net after freshman Jack Richard beat out Svedeback for the goal as time ran out in the game’s first frame. The Huskies went into the period break with a 1-0 lead. 

The Huskies added consistent pressure to the Friars’ defense in the second period. So much so that Providence turned over the puck, and junior Chase Bradley handled the rest and fired the puck to extend UConn’s lead to 2-0. However, the Huskies faced adversity late in the second period after sophomore Matthew Wood issued a five-minute major penalty and game misconduct for boarding. Additionally, this was followed by a holding penalty by senior John Spetz, which put the Huskies in a tough position as the time expired in the second period. 

In the midst of killing off the five-minute-major and two-minute-minor in the third period, Providence was able to find the back of the net and cut UConn’s lead to one goal. The Huskies penalty kill did the job and was able to survive the remaining time of the five-minute major. From that point on, it was all goaltender Ethan Haider for the Huskies. Haider and the rest of the UConn defense were able to prevent the Friars from scoring the equalizer goal. Providence outshot UConn 44-19. However, the Huskies persevered and completed the upset of the No. 10 Friars 2-1 on the road. UConn’s penalty kill was one of their biggest strengths in the victory, holding Providence one-for-nine on the power play. Haider finished with 42 saves, and the win improved the Huskies record to 12-13-2 overall and 7-9-1 in conference action. UConn is fifth in the Hockey East Standings, with Massachusetts right below at number six.  

The Huskies will be back in action on Friday to host No. 11 UMass at Toscano Family Ice Forum. They will then complete the home-and-home series by traveling to Massachusetts on Saturday. Puck drop for both games will be at 7:00 p.m..