Wednesday, May 8, 2024
HomeLifeWHUS’ Battle of the Bands: A high-energy evening of unforgettable music 

WHUS’ Battle of the Bands: A high-energy evening of unforgettable music 

WHUS Radio hosts their annual event called Battle of the Bands at the Student Union Ballroom in Storrs, Conn. on Feb. 3, 2024. The event featured local bands from the area, not just limited to students of the university. Photo by Skyler Kim/The Daily Campus

This past Saturday, WHUS Radio hosted its iconic Battle of the Bands competition with a stellar lineup that appealed to fans of various genres. The event, a tradition since the 1970s, continues to be a highlight for many UConn students, often leading them to discover new favorite genres or artists. The event also gives local Connecticut bands more exposure and publicity that helps attract new fans. This year’s competition featured the most bands in recent years, contributing to a sold-out show. The six participating bands were Basement Camp, The Jawns, DUI (Dying Under the Influence), The Sauce, Overlöded, and Ruby Leftstep.  

As a first-time attendee of Battle of the Bands this year, I didn’t know what to expect, but the overall atmosphere immediately caught my attention. Students in the Union Ballroom sported glow stick bracelets, necklaces and headbands, which created a vibrant contrast against the dark room. Dimly lit balloons circulated throughout the crowd while merchandise of the bands performing was displayed at the back of the room, surrounded by fairy lights. Before the show began, a relaxed atmosphere was present, making the event feel like a gathering of friends bonding over their shared love of music.  

The first round featured Basement Camp against the Jawns. Family members came out to support both groups. Basement Camp delivered a more traditional old-school rock performance, which you might hear at a bar or pub, while the Jawns slowed things down with their alternative indie rock sound. During the Jawns’ performance, I witnessed a mosh pit for the first time, which definitely surprised me at first. During these mosh pits, attendees kicked their legs and lightly bumped into each other, creating a unique bonding experience over the music. The crowd’s energy remained high throughout the event, with the Jawns ultimately advancing to the next round.  

In the following round, it was time for the hard-hitting metal bands to take the stage. The heavy metal band, DUI, delivered a high-energy set that resonated with the crowd. Their songs, centered around past relationships and heartbreak, connected with many attendees, and throughout their set, they had an amazing stage presence. Melana, a second-semester psychology and sociology major and first-time Battle of the Bands attendee, described DUI’s energy as “fierce and strong.” Because of them and other performers, “she would definitely go again” to Battle of the Bands. Going against DUI was The Sauce, another metal band whose songs revolved around themes of inspiration and motivation. They absolutely knew how to get the audience excited about their music with high-energy performances throughout their set. Ultimately, DUI won and moved on to the next round.  

In the third round, Overlöded and Ruby Leftstep faced off. Overlöded is a punk-rock Storrs-based band whose name inspiration comes from the iconic band in the Diary of the Wimpy Kid books. Because of this, they even met the book’s author, Jeff Kinney, at the Diary of a Wimpy Kid studio. Unlike Overlöded, Ruby Leftstep is a rock band, similar to the Jawns, has an alternative sound and calms the crowd down to close the night. They especially stuck out to me since they got the crowd extremely involved with their performance and had everyone singing along to their lyrics. Ruby Leftstep advanced to the final round.  

In the final showdown, the top three bands — The Jawns, DUI and Ruby Leftstep — each performed an encore, after which the audience’s cheers determined the winner. In the end, Ruby Leftstep emerged victorious as the final winner.  

After experiencing Battle of the Bands for the first time, I highly recommend other UConn students attend as well. The competition offers a unique and energetic atmosphere, creating an opportunity to discover new artists and bond with fellow students. I look forward to what future Battle of the Bands competitions have in store.