56 F
Saturday, May 18, 2024
HomeSportsTrack & Field: Huskies successful in weekend meet 

Track & Field: Huskies successful in weekend meet 

The Connecticut track and field teams had a strong weekend, totaling 35 top-five finishes and five first-place results.  

The team struggled at the Boston College Eagle Elite Invitational but had multiple top-five placements. On day one, Travis Snyder placed second in the pole vault, measuring 5.17 meters. Marc Morrison placed fifth in the long jump, leaping 7.34 meters, and Terrel Williams finished second in the 60-meter hurdles with a blistering time of 7.77 seconds. For the women, Jasmine Barrow placed fifth in the long jump scoring 5.9 meters.  

On day two at the BC Eagle Elite Invitational, Kasey Savage placed second in the men’s triple jump with a mark of 14.9 meters, while teammate Joron Harrell placed fifth in the event with a mark of 14.61 meters. Two Huskies also ended up inside the top-five of the high jump. Mawali Osunniyi placed third, leaping 2.13 meters, while Dar Jankovic placed fifth with a distance of 2.03 meters. 

At the Yale Invitational, there was no shortage of additional success for the Huskies.  

There were seven top-five finishes and one first-place result on the men’s side. Travis Roux placed first in the weight throw with a mark of 19.39 meters, with teammate Alex Krause finishing just outside the top five, placing sixth with a score of 17.43 meters. Joseph O’Brien clocked in at 21.94 seconds in the 200 meter, Dante Bailey set a mark of 1.80 meters in the high jump and Diarmuid O’Connor had a height of 3.90 meters in pole vault, all three placing second in their events. Tyler Lyon placed third in the shot put with a toss of 14.94 meters. Zachary Barry finished third in the 800m, with a time of 1:57.87 seconds, while Max Ringwall placed fourth in the long jump with a mark of 6.59 meters. 

For the women, there were 10 top-five finishes and one first-place result. Sinclair Fryer took home first in the shot put, recording a mark of 13.19 meters. In the 4×400 meter relay, Audrey Kozak, Katelyn Reid, Alyssa Elliott and Caroline Rice finished third with a time of 3:59.08 seconds. Natalia Surdej placed third in the weight throw with a toss of 18.62 meters. Brianna Davis (200m), Caroline Rice (400m) and Allison McCarthy (800m) all placed fourth in their events. Alyssa Elliott placed fourth in the long jump with a height of 5.67 meters, while Felicia Quianoo placed fifth in the triple jump with a mark of 11.71 meters. Connecticut notched two top-five finishes in pole vault, as Sofia Wittmann and Kalli Knott tied each other and the two placed fourth with a mark of 3.65 meters. 

Overall, it was a successful weekend for the Huskies, who want to continue their success as they prepare to head to Boston and South Bend to compete in the Terrier DMR Challenge and the Alex Wilson Invitational.