Monday, May 20, 2024
HomeLifeLove, Loss and Lust: Here are 3 novels that should be featured...

Love, Loss and Lust: Here are 3 novels that should be featured on your bookshelf 

In this article, Phang recommends romance books for readers. Illustration courtesy of Samantha Hass/The Daily Campus.

Love, one of the most prominent forces in literature and reality, has embedded itself in the air you breathe, in the people, nature and animals you see on your daily walk to class. After all, it is Valentine’s Day! What else is there to do on this holiday besides reminisce and dream about what is or could be? Likewise, what better way is there to do this than to read romance novels? Here are three of the best, most essential and classic stories you should read in lieu of your typical rotation. 

1: “The Notebook” by Nicholas Sparks 

The timeless romance between two soulmates makes the theory of the invisible string — a concept which suggests that the universe is tied together in love, like every individual puzzle piece-paired to another — making it a Valentine’s Day classic. Between Noah, a man born into the working class, and Allie, born and raised in the higher reaches of society, the pair reflect on the obstacles they faced while intermingling across differing social statuses. Unfortunately, right as they indulge in a passionate love affair that turns the summer romance into one that would follow them through their life, Allie moves away. Truly a representation of idealism, “The Notebook” reveals there is no separation, obstacle or heartbreak that is a match for unconditional love. 

2: “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Brontë 

Taught across the nation in middle and high school English classes, Jane Eyre makes the perfect book for lovers of “Beauty and the Beast.” Mr. Rochester, the brooding, mysterious and morally complex master of Thornfield Hall, falls into a deep infatuation with Jane Eyre, an orphaned young woman who gains an occupation at Thornfield Hall as a governess. With Mr. Rochester’s complex past and secretive present, and Jane’s compassionate, honest and introspective characterization, the two make for quite the interesting, but contradictory pair. Besides the pair’s romance, a central theme for the book is Jane Eyre’s illumination of feminism, independence and individuality. 

3: “The Time Traveler’s Wife” by Audrey Niffenegger 

For fans of fantasy, this one’s for you! Henry DeTamble, a man who suffers from a genetic condition that causes him to involuntarily and randomly time travel, and his wife, Clare Abshire, who experiences her life in a linear, direct pattern, navigate through the complexity of their relationship with Henry’s constant absences. Ultimately, their unconventional relationship grows and the pair attempts to build a family. However, just as “The Notebook” prevailed against the dehumanizing essence of distance, so does “The Time Traveler’s Wife,” which dives deep into the concepts of fate, free will and the overbearing yet rewarding nature of true love.  

This book is recommended for college students especially, as it forces readers to reflect upon themselves in light of being in the present — in the moment. Younger people have a tendency to overlook the small but good details in their life and instead constantly work towards the future. However, we should all celebrate and bask in the gloriful moments, no matter how big or small, that accompany us during our time alive. 

Previously said, love is one of the most determined internal forces in the world, causing irrationality, immorality and confusion, but at the same time, it drives passion, clarity and purpose. The duality of it all! And, speaking of love, I can guarantee that reading these books will make you fall in love with them. 

Happy reading, cupids!