Thursday, May 16, 2024
HomeSportsMen’s Soccer: Huskies to take on USL’s Hartford Athletic in annual preseason...

Men’s Soccer: Huskies to take on USL’s Hartford Athletic in annual preseason friendly 

UConn men’s soccer wins their home opener against Holy Cross at the Marrone Stadium in Storrs, Conn. on Aug. 27, 2023. The Huskies held momentum throughout the entire match, finishing the game with a score of four goals to none. Photo by Skyler Kim/The Daily Campus.

The UConn men’s soccer team is set to compete against USL Championship side Hartford Athletic in a preseason friendly at Dillon Stadium this Saturday. 

The two Connecticut teams have faced each other yearly as a warmup for each team’s upcoming season. For the Huskies, the season will not begin until August while Hartford Athletic is set to begin their campaign this month. 

The Huskies are coming off an average season with a 9-8-1 record overall. Although they came in fourth in the Eastern division of the Big East, UConn had an impressive showing in the Big East Tournament. After knocking out St. John’s in the opener, they were then eliminated in the semifinals by Georgetown.  

The Huskies’ many wins were largely helped by key plays from the junior forward, Scott Testori. Testori led the team in goals scored, recording eight throughout the season. Another key player to keep an eye out is Nicolas Tomerius, who led the team to a total of seven assists. During the 2023 Season, the Huskies were known for their aggressive offense. They averaged 14.3 shots per game, while opponents averaged 10.9.  

Hartford Athletic, on the other hand, are seeking revenge after an abysmal season, only recording four wins and a record 24 losses, which resulted in coming not just last in their conference, but also in the whole league. 

Because of their low-performance last season, many changes had to happen. The most notable loss for the Athletic is the transfer of Prince Saydee, who led in goals scored, with a total of 10. His move to Rhode Island FC will leave a space for another player to step up. One key signing includes Marcus Epps from FC Tulsa. With a tally of nine goals, Epps is known for overwhelming defenses around the league. This will be key for Hartford as they must combat the Huskies attack. Another player who could contribute is Rece Buckmaster. From Memphis 901 FC, Buckmaster has been able to outplay attackers in their efforts to get past him.  

For Hartford Athletic, this is an opportunity to figure themselves out as they are seeking to reinvent their way of play and deliver a quality season for their fans. For UConn, this is a great chance to have a more competitive opponent, as head coach Chris Gbandi looks to take the team he once played for back to their glory days. He led Connecticut to their most recent National Title and playing an opponent like this is a great way to challenge his squad. The game is set to kick off behind closed doors on Saturday at Dillon Stadium at 2 p.m.