Tuesday, May 21, 2024
HomeNewsScience 1 Research Lab named after defense corporation RTX 

Science 1 Research Lab named after defense corporation RTX 

The Science 1 Research Center is located on King Hill Road, nearby North Parking Garage. It opened for student and faculty use in the spring of 2023. Photo by Siham Nedloussi/The Daily Campus

Located in the University of Connecticut’s Science 1 Research Center, the G1 Cleanroom has officially been designated as the “RTX Technology Research Center” after a vote from the Board of Trustees was held during a session on February 28. 

The decision comes after a filing by university President Radenka Maric in support of the renaming, citing, “RTX Corporation and its business units are strategic corporate partners of the University. With a focus on diversity, equity and inclusion, they have provided scholarship support to underserved students within the College of Engineering.” RTX, formerly Raytheon Technologies, is a prominent defense contractor and the 35th largest lobbying organization to U.S. Congress as of 2023. 

Renaming clause item 22 was approved by all trustees but Undergraduate Student Trustee Aanya Mehta, who abstained from the vote. 

“My decision to abstain came after the moving public comment we heard prior to the vote – which was for multiple items, one of which included the vote to rename the research center in Science 1 after RTX. The concept of our university divesting from the military industrial complex is compelling,” Mehta said. 

The Board heard a comment from Chris Coulbet, who implored specific dissent towards UConn’s relationship with RTX. 

“The University of Connecticut presently has ninety-four active contracts with Raytheon Technologies. I am allotted three minutes to speak, but had I read the names and payment amounts of those line items it would have taken me half an hour to read the full list of only active contracts. Though Raytheon and it’s subsidiaries are the ones putting their names on campus buildings in a desperate PR gambit, UConn’s aid to the manufacture of death goes further,” Coulbet said. 

Additonally, UConn Students for Justice in Palestine President Jenna Rabah expressed her personal “disgust” towards UConn’s administration. 

“Two weeks ago an Israeli occupation missile destroyed the front facade of my family home in Azib. My uncle Hashem, running to save his daughter Yumna, was hit with another missile. My cousin Yumna woke up without her arms, and without her father,” said Rabah. 

Rabah spoke for many in the Palestinian community who have lost the life and limb of family in the Israel-Palestine conflict. 

“Since you have never expressed an ounce of compassion for Palestinians, I will use this moment to remember the family members of my classmates exterminated by Israel,” Rabah said. 

The decision comes in the wake of the United Technologies Engineering Building being renamed for RTX subsidiary Pratt and Whitney.  

The Board of Trustees has faced critical actions from a number of student organizations, with an opposition protest being held during the same period

1 COMMENT