Thursday, May 9, 2024
HomeSportsBridget’s Bulletin: A review of 'The Dynasty: New England Patriots' docuseries    

Bridget’s Bulletin: A review of ‘The Dynasty: New England Patriots’ docuseries    

The New England Patriots, a team holding six Super Bowl titles, 11 AFC championships and a list of records too long to begin to name, remains one of the hottest topics of conversation after years of eyebrow-raising headlines.  

With the spiraling relationships of powerful franchise figures, the downfall of the corporation and enough scandals to last a lifetime, many wonder if the dynasty has officially crumbled.  

That’s exactly what Apple TV’s newest docuseries, “The Dynasty: New England Patriots” details: The highs, lows, trials and tribulations of the Patriots’ 20-year journey to the top and ultimately its downfall.  

Unfortunately, the series will probably be a disheartening watch for die-hard Patriots fans as the series doesn’t gloss over the team’s lows. It puts a lot of focus on the difficulties, criticism and disheartening scandals the franchise often became tangled up in.  

Despite the plethora of controversial discussion topics throughout, filmmakers were able to sit down with over 25 players, journalists, coaches and NFL officials for an inside look and revealed never-before-seen footage.  

The series goes back to the very beginning and early glory days of the team, talking with pre-Tom Brady Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe, wide receiver Randy Moss and more recent stars Rob Gronkowski and Julian Edelman.   

Shockingly, key figures such as Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft and Brady took a seat on camera to reflect on the team’s journey. What’s more interesting, though, is their portrayal. 

Belichick has been in the spotlight for the better half of his career, holding records as the second winningest coach in NFL history with 333, most division titles by a head coach with 17 and the only coach in history with six Super Bowl wins. Despite the firsthand accounts Belichick provides throughout the series, his portrayal is at times questionable and ultimately paints him in a rather negative light, highlighting his criticisms and pitfalls.  

After being named head coach of the Jets, Belichick resigned after one day on the job by infamously writing “I resign as HC of the NYJ” on a piece of paper to then sign as the head coach for the Patriots on Jan. 27, 2000, and the rest––good and bad––was history.  

While the docuseries details the Patriots’ rise to the top under Belichick, it also recounts the inner dynamics, relationships, power struggles, and at times questionable decisions made by him. More than once, Belichick declines to comment on several touchy subjects such as the infamous “spygate” and “deflategate.”  

One of the quotes from the series that has gone the most viral since its premiere highlights Belichick’s hardcore style.  

Matt Cassel, former Patriots quarterback says, “One time I don’t see a corner blitz and get absolutely annihilated. Belichick comes in and says ‘Cassel can we figure out the corner blitz? Because I don’t want to have to write your mother a letter that says, “Dear Mrs. Cassel, We’re sorry to inform you that your son is dead because he’s a dumb*ss and didn’t see the corner blitz.”’”  

Despite many fans calling the series a “Bill Belichick hit piece,” reviews are mixed. While some fans are upset with the portrayal of their beloved coach who’s been named one of the greatest of all time, others can’t challenge the accuracy of the piece. Some contest that while Belichick may be the greatest, he did whatever it took to get to the top, whether people liked his decisions or not.  

Contrastingly, Robert Kraft, the Patriots owner, is depicted as the peacekeeper and one of the sole figures holding the franchise together. In the series, Kraft even states, “I was just trying to hold it together the best I could,” and didn’t shy away from tough topics of conversation. At one point, Kraft even turns directly into the camera and appears to speak directly to viewers.  

Despite his more favorable depiction, Kraft doesn’t shy away from admitting his blunders. One of the most contested, Brady’s departure from the Patriots and signing with the Buccaneers in 2020 was discussed by Kraft.  

The owner admitted that he was determined to stick by Belichick’s side instead of Brady. Consequently, Brady went on to win Super Bowl LV.  

Throughout the series, Brady maintains his ‘greatest of all time’ status. Although relationships got a bit dicey towards the end of the series as the tensions came to fruition between Brady, Belichick and Kraft surrounding Brady’s departure, he maintains one of the highest levels of respect.  

When all’s said and done, all good things must come to an end. Although the ending to the Patriots’ reign may not have concluded in the picture-perfect way, there are some undeniably incredible moments to reflect upon.   

Previous article
Next article