Thursday, May 9, 2024
HomeLifeA powerful dialogue for inclusion: M. Jacqui Alexander and Beverly Guy-Sheftall in...

A powerful dialogue for inclusion: M. Jacqui Alexander and Beverly Guy-Sheftall in Conversation 

UConn campus on a beautiful spring day from a birds eye view. Campus from the ground is one things but looking at the sky is breath taking. Photo by Jordan Arnold/The Daily Campus

Established in 1974, the University of Connecticut’s Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies (WGSS) program is celebrating 50 years in operation this week. To celebrate the diverse and talented group of faculty, staff and students which have been involved with WGSS over the decades, the program invited M. Jacqui Alexander and Beverly Guy Sheftall to host a panel in the Graduate Hotel Ballroom. The speakers discussed a wide range of issues regarding black feminism, the transnational nature of WGSS as a field of research, the need for more activism in the university environment, and much more.  

Moderated by Assistant Professor of English and WGSS at UConn, Briona Jones, the event was designed to cover the many obstacles overcome by the program, and the many it still must face. M. Jacqui Alexander, a professor in WGSI, the University of Toronto’s Women & Gender Studies Institute, discussed her publications, including the highly influential “Pedagogies of Crossing: Meditations on Feminism, Sexual Politics, Memory, And the Sacred,” among other deeply impactful topics. Alongside Jacqui was Beverly Guy Sheftall, director of the Women’s Research and Resource Center at Spelman College. Sheftall wrote a monumental piece on Black Feminism, “Words of Fire.” 

Both Sheftall and Alexander brought an incredibly spirited and inspiring dialogue to the Graduate Hotel Ballroom. First, Alexander spoke on the spirits which were amongst those speaking in the audience, in particular reference to Audre Lorde, a prominent black feminist professor, thinker and activist. A panel on her life and contributions to scholarship in WGSS took place in the Ballroom earlier in the day. In addition to beginning the dialogue by acknowledging her work, the panel also highlighted the ongoing oppression in Palestine which sparked the first topics of discussion. 

Microphone on a stage, ready for a speech to be made to the audience beyond the image. Photo by Matthew Jungling/Unsplash

Both panelists agreed that the ongoing horrors in Gaza were connected to women’s studies, and as Sheftall added, “unique to how you form your own political identity.” Alexander noted how the talks given earlier in the day, as well as those given throughout the history of black feminist activism, was a “rich tapestry which has been woven for us here.” With the tapestry being a recurring theme throughout Alexander’s dialogue, she concluded that the talk was “continuing the tapestry this afternoon. 

Focus then shifted to the dangers associated with dialogue taking place on the panel. Alexander mentioned that modern society is not open, nor is democracy permissive of the radical thinking and activism that it takes to bring about an inclusive and equitable community. She noted how Gaza, like Haiti and other oppressed countries and groups, is “constantly under siege.” Amid the combat, Alexander stated “Women’s bodies pay the disproportionate price.” 

Sheftall opened her dialogue by reading Audre Lorde’s commencement speech from Oberlin College, which featured statistics and commentary on the situation in Israel and Palestine even then in 1989. Such bold advocacy against oppression made by Lorde had a clear impact on Sheftall, but also those in the audience, who clapped after Sheftall finished reading Lorde’s words. Sheftall then discussed the third National Women’s Studies Association Conference on the UConn Storrs campus in 1981, remarking “if a bomb had dropped, we would have no black feminist movement.” 

Discussion then shifted towards the educational aspects of WGSS. Alexander focused on fighting against American exceptionalism, while Sheftall encouraged revitalizing the activism within the scholarly setting. Alexander also highlighted experiences in the Caribbean, where women undertook “unpaid work” in the domestic sphere and were “made poor because they work in low paying jobs.” This economic injustice would be called into question as Alexander in her youth caught on to feminist advocacy, which critiqued the domestic and state backed patriarchy. 

As discussion went on, the panelists laughed as their dialogue had strayed so far from the initial question asked by Jones, that they all backtracked to Audre Lorde, who was the topic of Jones’ first question. 

Using this backtrack as a time to explore the academic side of black feminism in the context of WGSS, Alexander and Sheftall commented on the idea of valuing a “robust African American literary tradition.” For both, it was the lack of exposure to such powerful writing that contributed to them teaching and pursuing academics.  

The next question focused on the transnationality of WGSS, asking panelists to comment on whether it was necessary for the field to be globally focused. 

“Women’s studies, women of color and black stuff has always been transnational, I can’t imagine it not being transnational.”

Beverly Guy Sheftall, director of the Women’s Research and Resource Center at Spelman College

Both Sheftall and Alexander agreed that it was necessary for WGSS to have a transnational approach, with Sheftall saying, “Women’s studies, women of color and black stuff has always been transnational, I can’t imagine it not being transnational.” 

Alexander remarked that there is a certain “interdisciplinarity” within WGSS, and that “moving away from separation” was a key aspect to achieving this unity within the field and fostering inclusivity in more spaces. 

Audre Lorde’s life and legacy was then recalled by Alexander, who commented on how profoundly her life impacted the WGSS program and feminists across the country. Alexander raised a question that may have been said by Lorde had she been alive to ask it, “What have you done with the work that I have left for you?” 

The audience was moved by this question, which emphasized the importance and ever-expanding history of the WGSS program and the efforts, achievements, difficulties and challenges it may face. Lorde was very much still inspiring the audience, and it was almost as if she herself was one of the panelists. The spirituality of the discussion embraced her legacy and brought it to the forefront. 

Discussion then shifted towards the difficulties WGSS faculty face and have faced for its entire history, in terms of grappling with academic routine and radical activism. Alexander remarked that tenured faculty should be helping junior faculty break out of their restrictions in place by university regulation. “At 50, you should be out of your mother’s house” she noted. 

Likewise, the concept of the state and political agents imposing their power in women’s studies as a field was mentioned, with a paragraph in Alexander’s book “Pedagogies of Crossing” being read aloud, which shared insight into the links between states and oppression. Sheftall also commented on the “b*llshit” that was academic rigor requirements, which were used to prevent activists from being employed to higher positions in a university setting. Alexander added that just because research or activism is political, doesn’t necessarily make it radical. There is always a need for increased awareness of oppression and issues regarding equality and inclusivity, and by preventing those who think outside the sphere of regular academia from having a voice, the cycle of oppression will continue. 

Running with that theme of radical change and thinking being necessary for change, a Q&A section followed during which several questions and statements by audience members brought out further insights from the speakers. 

One student asked how best to bring about change and activism, especially as examples were mentioned during the talk of activists organizing entire events without any money of their own, purely from their kitchen floor or dorm room. Both Sheftall and Alexander encouraged sitting down with groups, and as Alexander mentioned, “all it takes is two to three people” and a plan for radical change will become a possibility. With that simple motivation in mind, the panel concluded that all it takes is thinking with others and thinking about an issue that must be fixed and doing something to resolve it. Activism starts in small groups, as shown through an example of a large march organized by a small group in their kitchen. 

Women working on laptops alongside one another collaborating on a project. Photo by Christina/Unsplash

Another audience member, Myra Marx Ferree, Professor of Sociology and a member of the Gender and Women’s Studies department at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, thanked the panel and the dialogue they provided, and spoke on the importance of manifestos and the sharing of ideas between those who feel the need to take on issues of oppression or hatred. Ferree emphasized changing the “I” to “we” when thinking about activism, and that rather than thinking of only what impacts you, be just as aware of what impacts those around you. 

In an interview following the Q&A, I was able to speak with Ferree about her work and comments in more detail. Being involved in the WGSS program since the 1980s, even attending the 1981 NWSA Conference at Storrs, Ferree spoke on the need for UConn to transform its WGSS department.  

“I don’t think WGSS has changed enough to reflect how the whole academic world has changed,” Ferree said. When we first established women’s studies, the idea — and it was a smart idea — was that we would hire outside people for five years as director, after which they would rotate to their disciplinary department. There wasn’t a program like this anywhere [at the time].”  

“50 years of change, it’s a different world, we need a different model.”

Myra Marx Ferree, Professor of Sociology and a member of the Gender and Women’s Studies department at the University of Wisconsin, Madison

With much of the same limitations on the director’s position in place, as well as a shaky record of support from the University, Ferree added that after “50 years of change, it’s a different world, we need a different model.” It was noted that while at the University of Wisconsin the Gender and Women’s Studies program had become a full degree granting department — including Ph.D opportunities, the same has not occurred at UConn, with WGSS remaining a program until the recently announced plan to merge the program with others to form the Department of Social and Critical Inquiry.  

Sherry Zane, the interim director for the WGSS program at UConn shared her feelings on the dialogue provided at the event, saying, “This conference has fed my soul.” Like many in the audience, Zane felt a connection to the impactful discussion held, with WGSS facing heavy topics, such productive discussion is unmistakably inspiring. 

Professor of Political Science, Jane Gordon, helped to curate the event and works closely with El Instituto, WGSS and the American studies program at UConn. When asked about how the event came together, Gordon states, “It has been great to be in an intergenerational space, especially as we are becoming a new department. It’s a great achievement, but it just creates the next stage of some very difficult and important work. 

There are more events to celebrate WGSS’s 50 years of operation, including panels, talks, lunches and more. To see more about these events, check out the WGSS@50 events calendar or the preview of upcoming events featured in the Daily Campus on March 21.