Monday, May 6, 2024
HomeNews4.8 Magnitude Earthquake felt in Storrs

4.8 Magnitude Earthquake felt in Storrs

People walk around Times Square as news tickers mention the East Coast earthquake on Friday April 5, 2024 in New York. Officials say an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 4.8 shook the densely populated New York City metropolitan area. Residents reported they felt rumbling across the Northeast on Friday morning. The quake was centered in New Jersey about 45 miles west of New York City and 50 miles north of Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Brittainy Newman)

At 10:23 a.m. this morning, a 4.8 magnitude earthquake struck the Northeastern United States, affecting areas of New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. Seismic activity branched out from the epicenter, estimated to be in Whitehouse Station, NJ, expanding outward across the region. Tremors from the quake were felt by University of Connecticut students around the state, with highest magnitude impacts being felt on the Stamford regional campus, reaching an estimated 3.5 magnitudes according to the United States Geological Survey. According to reports from students and the USGS, 2.4 – 3.0 magnitude quakes were felt across the Storrs Campus, with some students reporting very brief and mild shaking in the morning.  

Colin Piteo
Colin Piteo is the News Editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at Colin.Piteo@uconn.edu.