Monday, May 13, 2024
HomeSportsSoftball: Huskies look to bounce back from Boston College loss in series...

Softball: Huskies look to bounce back from Boston College loss in series at St. John’s 

Huskies suffer 0-2 loss from BU Terriers March 26th 2024. Game scores were 3-6 and 0-1 at the Connecticut Softball Complex. Photo by Mercer Ferguson/The Daily Campus

The UConn softball team (19-16, 7-2 Big East) is looking to bounce back after losing three of their last five games, with two coming against opponents based in the Boston area. 

After a mid-week loss to Boston College, the Huskies turn their attention back to Big East play as they travel to the Empire State to take on St. John’s University (19-16, 8-4 Big East). 

Connecticut is second in the Big East standings, while the Red Storm is in fourth place. 

With an underwhelming past five games, none of UConn’s players made the Big East Weekly Honors, which were released on Monday. 

St. John’s has been hot, winning their last four games. 

St. John’s sophomore Ana Serafinko was named the Big East Player of the Week after a run-rule no-hitter as a pitcher and a grand slam at the plate. She struck out ten batters in a pair of victories over DePaul University. The Chino Hills, Calif. native hit .375 on the weekend with two home runs and six runs batted in. She leads the conference in Big East wins this season with five. 

Serafinko wasn’t the only pitcher on St. John’s recognized on Monday’s Big East Weekly Honors. Sophomore Lorely Francia was named the Big East Pitcher of the Week after earning two wins this weekend, striking out 18 batters without giving up an earned run in 14 innings. She tossed a complete game on Friday, striking out eight in a shutout win over DePaul. 

St. John’s was supposed to host Fordham University on Wednesday, but the game was canceled due to inclement weather. 

In the circle, the Johnnies have one of the best pitching groups. They lead the conference in opposing batting average (.204) and strikeouts (81). It seems to be a series in which runs will be scored on base hits, as these two teams allow the least and second-least amount of home runs. 

Shortstop London Jarrard and outfielder Jess Bianco have come up big for St. John’s at the plate. The two share the top two spots of total hits during Big East play. Jarrad has 18 so far, while Bianco has 17. 

Sophomore Cassidy Stouffer hasn’t fared well so far this season, leading all batters in strikeouts in Big East play with ten.  

In the Huskies’ last Big East series, they won a series against Providence College, only dropping one game and scoring four runs in each win. 

They were shut out for just the third time this season in their loss to Boston College. All three shutouts have come against non-conference foes. 

Connecticut is one of two teams in Big East play without at least ten doubles this season (7). DePaul only has hit one during conference play. 

Both teams have 12 steal attempts in Big East games, tied for second-most in the conference. UConn has been caught four times, which is the second-most in the conference. 

In the circle, UConn is another strong team in Big East play. They are tied with St. John’s for the second-best earned run average (2.01) and have the least amount of wins outside of Villanova’s perfect conference record. Outside of Villanova, they have allowed the least amount of runs, earned and total. 

Lexi Hastings and Hope Jenkins own two of the three best batting averages in Big East play. Hastings has batted .500 so far, while Jenkins has batted at .467. Jenkins is tied for the conference lead of RBIs with 12 in Big East play. Rosie Garcia leads the conference in the Big East with five home runs. 

Jenkins has been a force in the circle, leading the Big East in opposing batting average with .114 while posting an ERA of 0.66. 

Following the Huskies’ series with St. John’s, UConn will travel back home to host Creighton next weekend. St. John’s will travel to Stony Brook next week following the three-game series. 

This weekend’s series is at Red Storm Field in Queens, N.Y. Today’s first pitch is set for 2 p.m. Saturday’s game begins at 1 p.m., while Sunday’s finale is at noon. All three games are available to watch on FloSoftball.