Monday, May 6, 2024
HomeNewsUConn Bound Day brings admitted students to campus  

UConn Bound Day brings admitted students to campus  

Harry A. Gampel Pavilion on November 28th, 2023. Gampel Pavilion opened on January 21, 1990, and is the largest on-campus arena in New England. Photo by Jordan Arnold/The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut hosted over 2,000 admitted students at Storrs on Saturday for Bound Day.  

The program began at 9 a.m. with a welcome ceremony at Gampel Pavilion. The day followed with different presentations and showcases for admitted students to learn about academics, living on campus and financial aid in various locations around campus. Campus tours departed every 15 minutes from the Homer Babbidge Library, where students could view popular locations around campus.  

Students could also get tours of the Student Recreation Center, departing every five minutes outside of the entrance. There was also a learning community showcase and Innovation Zone tours in the Peter J. Werth Residence Tower.  

Students explored their majors through various school and college presentations. There was a pre-law advising presentation at the Dodd Center and a pre-medical advising presentation at Schenker Hall. Students who were admitted as undecided majors could attend a presentation from the Academic Center for Exploratory Students.  

The Student Union also held events throughout the day, including a Campus Connections Expo, where various campus organizations tabled to showcase what students could get involved in when they arrive on campus in the fall. Organizations, including the Daily Campus, UCTV, SUBOG, UConn Athletics Bands, South Asian Women Empowerment Association and the Pakistani Community at UConn, provided students with the opportunity to learn about campus life. Other departments, including Experiential Global Learning, the First Year Experience and the Center for Career Development, provided more information about available resources and opportunities.  

Admitted students also had the opportunity to visit the seven culture centers and programs on campus, which are located in the Union. 

Various students, faculty and staff from departments across the university volunteered their time to help run presentations, showcases and panels. The Lodewick Visitor Center tour guide staff and Husky Ambassador volunteers also helped coordinate the days’ events.  

The Husky Ambassador Program plays a large part, helping Undergraduate Admissions recruit students. Ambassadors volunteer to host Husky for a Day, run check-ins for large venue tours and participate in open houses and Bound Days throughout the year.  

Rehana Konate and Lucia Scott are the two Husky Ambassador coordinators who organized the 85 ambassador volunteers and almost 40 tour guides who made up the staff on Saturday. 

Konate and Scott said they organized a plan to place volunteers in locations across campus to assist admitted students and their families.  

” We also found a way to station our ambassadors at key stations such as Gampel, Mchugh, Fairfield Way and both [parking] garages. Our ambassadors served as friendly faces to guests, all while answering questions and giving directions.”

Rehana Konate and Lucia Scott, Husky Ambassador Coordinators

“We also found a way to station our ambassadors at key stations such as Gampel, Mchugh, Fairfield Way and both [parking] garages. Our ambassadors served as friendly faces to guests, all while answering questions and giving directions,” they said. 

Konate and Scott checked in all the volunteers and were available throughout the day to help them if needed. 

“The day of, some of our responsibilities included moving ambassadors to key spots, providing them with the information they need to answer questions and more. We also ensured that our ambassadors felt confident and comfortable in positions they were in,” they said. 

Admitted students could ask Husky Ambassadors questions to receive a coin to redeem for a free scoop of ice cream at the Dairy Bar.  

The day ended with a conversation with UConn alumni at the Student Union Theatre. 

There is another UConn Bound Day on Saturday, April 13, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admitted students may register through their applicant portal.