Saturday, May 4, 2024
HomeNewsConnecticut Democrats vote on war in Gaza

Connecticut Democrats vote on war in Gaza

Connecticut’s Vote Uncommitted Campaign was organized by the CT Palestine Solidarity Coalition, who publicized their campaign on Instagram, organized phone banks, published campaign ads and offered instructions on how to take part in the Vote Uncommitted campaign. Flyers were also posted by groups such as the Democratic Socialists of America. Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash.

In Connecticut’s Democratic primary election held on April 2, 11.6% of votes cast were uncommitted in protest of the war in Gaza, with turnout at 8.3%. 

Connecticut’s Vote Uncommitted Campaign was organized by the CT Palestine Solidarity Coalition, who publicized their campaign on Instagram, organized phone banks, published campaign ads and offered instructions on how to take part in the Vote Uncommitted campaign. Flyers were also posted by groups such as the Democratic Socialists of America. 

The campaign was inspired by the success of the Listen to Michigan campaign, where over 100,000 people voted uncommitted. Michigan’s primary was held on Feb. 27 and local Democrats, such as Rep. Rashida Tlaib backed the campaign. 

Zach Weingart — a University of Connecticut graduate student who is earning a master’s in social work — as well as a member of Students for Justice in Palestine and Connecticut Social Workers for Palestine, said that he decided to vote uncommitted “pretty much as soon as I knew that was an option.” 

Weingart pointed to Michigan’s early success, saying “seeing the success that Michigan had with the vote uncommitted campaign was pretty inspiring.” 

“I think it does show that there’s a significant proportion of people who are opposed to his support for genocide. And, you know, it did get some publicity after the fact in Connecticut newspapers,” Weingart said. “I think a lot of people are talking about it, at least in my circles, so I do view it as a success.” 

Weingart discussed the impact of the Vote Uncommitted campaign nationwide in changing Biden’s foreign policy towards Israel. 

“There’s been a rhetorical shift, but we’re still sending weapons and, you know, we’re saying ‘maybe we won’t send weapons’ but we’re still continuing to do so. I think this has gone on for far too long,” Weingart said. “So, I think he has noticed it.” 

There’s been a rhetorical shift, but we’re still sending weapons and, you know, we’re saying ‘maybe we won’t send weapons’ but we’re still continuing to do so. I think this has gone on for far too long. So, I think he has noticed it.” 

Zach Weingart, UConn Social Work graduate student and member of Students for Justice in Palestine

Weingart also brought up recent U.S. humanitarian aid to Palestine, which has occurred through airdrops from military planes, according to an AP News report. 

“I think any amount of food that gets in does help,” Weingart said. “Between air drops and the pier that they’re currently constructing, I think it’s part of this shift that Biden is, sort of starting to pander to people to his left that are opposed to this… The most effective way is getting the trucks in,” he added, saying that Israel was blocking aid trucks. 

Regarding the campaign in November, Weingart was unsure as to how successful online pledges to not vote for politicians who fund the war in Gaza will be. 

“It’s hard to say until the votes actually happen,” Weingart said. 

The CT Palestine Solidarity Coalition thanked those who participated in the campaign and who voted uncommitted via Instagram.  

“We will continue to stand firm against the genocide of the Palestinian people and make our voices be heard!” the organization said. 

The CT Palestine Solidarity Coalition is made up of groups including Abandon Biden, We Will Return, Democratic Socialists of America, CT Students 4 Palestine and more.