Monday, May 6, 2024
HomeLife‘Espresso’ is a song for carpenters and coffee enthusiasts 

‘Espresso’ is a song for carpenters and coffee enthusiasts 

Formerly a lead in the Disney series “Girl Meets World,” Sabrina Carpenter began her music career in 2014 with her single, “Can’t Blame a Girl for Trying” and an EP titled after the song. She followed this uproar of music with six albums, each gaining more popularity. After she finished touring with Taylor Swift on the global leg of the Eras Tour, Carpenter released her new single, “Espresso” on April 12, 2024. 

Carpenter revealed in an interview with Zane Lowe that “Espresso” was written while she was in France and that “there was so much personality throughout the entire song,” adding that it would be “really, really fun to sing live with a crowd.” Perfect for people who don’t know or listen to her music, “Espresso” is a song that is a great introduction to Carpenter’s sense of humor and music style. 

After listening to this song, I can attest that it will reel you in within just the first 30 seconds. “Espresso” will leave you addicted to not just coffee, but the vibe it brings, too. The beginning instrumentals transition into the inclusion of drums and her vocals, a blend that will undoubtedly get you up and dancing. 

“Now he’s thinkin’ bout me every night, oh / Is it that sweet? I guess so / Say you can’t sleep, baby, I know / That’s that me, espresso” 

Her unwavering confidence is one that listeners can only dream of having. “Espresso’s” lyrics seem to be about power, poise and pride. It’s not a bad thing though; being prideful is good, it’s just a testament to one’s self-worth — something every person should have. Putting herself on a pedestal, Carpenter’s sweet rhythm and excitement make for the perfect hype-up song. The lyrics bring out the energy even further: 

“I can’t relate to desperation / My ‘give a fucks’ are on vacation / And I got this one boy / And he won’t stop calling / When they act this way / I know I got em’” 

The energy that this song pours out upscores its feel and electricity entirely, almost reaching that of Bruno Mars’ “Runaway Baby’s” — another confident song with a similar meaning to “Espresso.” 

The lyrics, though, are repetitive, which makes it difficult to listen to on repeat. “Espresso” is a solid song to put on a playlist to listen to once or a couple of times but doesn’t stand on its own. 

Although it’s somewhat easy to dance to, “Espresso” is quite repetitive. The lyrics and the jazz-like bass-playing bring a uniqueness to the table, setting it apart from the unfortunate mediocre, but this only slightly raises its appeal. Despite the shortcomings of “Espresso,” fans are still raving over her new song, but equally antsy for the album drop, whenever that may be. 

Rating: 3/5