Friday, May 3, 2024
HomeLifeThe Long Weekend: ’Annie Hall,’ ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ and ‘Black on Both...

The Long Weekend: ’Annie Hall,’ ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ and ‘Black on Both Sides’ 

As a senior, the end of my time here at UConn is approaching. Time has flown by, and looking back at how you arrived on the campus four years ago might feel weird. No matter what spot you are in, worried about not landing a job once you graduate or starting one and moving into the “real world,” know that you will be okay. Here is a quote from one of the all-time great movies “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” 

The Movie: “Annie Hall” 

Heading back to 1970s cinema, here is Woody Allen’s 1977 comedy-drama “Annie Hall.” The film follows the up-and-down relationship between comedian Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) and nightclub singer Annie Hall (Diane Keaton). For any aspiring comedy writers out there, watching any of Allen’s body of work like “Sleeper,” “Bullets Over Broadway,” or “Manhattan” is a free masterclass in writing from a legendary artist in cinema. The audience could relate to the characters in the film because of Woody Allen and his writing partner, Marshall Brickman. The movie includes love, loneliness, insecurity and a rollercoaster of relationships. “Annie Hall” has impacted cinema, especially comedy, with rich dialogue, witty remarks and style. Allen showcases filmmaking tricks, including splitting up the screen, adding subtitles showing the characters’ internal dialogue, and characters breaking the fourth wall. The film won an Oscar for best picture, actress, director, and screenplay for Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman.   

The Show: “Curb Your Enthusiasm” 

One of the most brilliant television shows, “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” is comedic brilliance. It’s one of those shows you watch on Sunday mornings when you can’t leave the bed. The show follows the main character, Larry David, through everyday life problems. David costars with Cheryl Hines, Jeff Garlin, Susie Esman, and J.B. Smoove, the show is famous for its improvisation, with each of the episode’s plots constructed by the show’s creator, Larry David. The show is in its last season after a 23-year run and airs every Sunday on HBO Max. The jokes in “Curb” are edgy, which allows for great humor and makes David untouchable for viewers who may want to complain. It is one of the most iconic shows in television history and is on the Mount Rushmore of HBO hits and comedy entertainment.  

The Album: “Black on Both Sides” 

One of the most influential rap albums of the 1990s, Mos Def, teamed up with producer Talib Kweli and dropped the 1999 album “Black on Both Sides.” Mos Def fills the album with eclecticism, showcasing his slick wordplay and rhythm. There are the sounds of pop, funk, rap, and even hardcore rock ‘n roll, with the album’s centerpiece on the album titled “Rock N Roll.” Mos Def addresses socio-political issues in every track, plays multiple instruments, and sings on a few songs like “Climb” and “Umi Says.” If you are a fan of laidback beats, then give “Black on Both Sides” a shuffle for these sunny day sidewalk strolls.  

The works of Larry David, Woody Allen, and Mos Def – I could have recommended a Barbra Streisand album.  

As my last article for the Daily Campus, I want to let readers know how much this organization has changed my life and improved my writing abilities. I stumbled into the Daily Campus, not knowing much about anything, and wrote about Golf for a few weeks (don’t rush to read those). Now, I have my own column and leave this school with a body of work for the Daily Campus that I am proud of. Thanks to the editors for letting me find my writing voice and not setting too many constraints on ideas and words. For any underclassmen who are taking a break from TikTok or YikYak to read this — I’ll leave you with something I wish I had known four years ago, it’s cliche and what you have heard on your tours through campus. There are so many opportunities here to get better at whatever craft you enjoy — take advantage of them. Create relationships with the professors you like, surround yourself with like-minded people, and do not listen to anybody who might put down your dreams. But, at the end of the day, you have to put in the work. Remember, “A jack of all trades, master of none, though often, better than a master of one.”