Sunday, May 5, 2024
HomeSportsSam’s Section: Favorite NFL draft prospects 

Sam’s Section: Favorite NFL draft prospects 

The NFL Draft begins Thursday night, and all eyes are on the top-four quarterbacks and where they may land in the first round: USC’s Caleb Williams, LSU’s Jayden Daniels, North Carolina’s Drake Maye and Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy. There’s also a plethora of offensive tackles, cornerbacks and wide receivers. In the final edition of Sam’s Section for this school year, we will look at my favorite prospects in this year’s draft. 

The NFL Draft begins Thursday night. Photo by Adrian Curiel/Unsplash

Christian Haynes, IOL, UConn (2023: 80.2 overall grade, 80.1 run block grade, 82.5 pass block grade per PFF) 

Haynes looks to be the first UConn football player taken in the first three rounds of the NFL Draft since Obi Melifonwu was taken 56th overall by the Raiders in 2017. In the last two seasons, Haynes was named to the AP All-American third team while starting all of his games at right guard. The Maryland native allowed just three sacks over his final three seasons. 

Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State (2023: 50 receptions, 658 receiving yards, 11 TDs) 

Don’t let the low amount of receiving yards fool you. Coleman is one of my favorite receivers in the draft, with the ability to produce massive plays. NFL analyst Lance Zierlein compared him to Drake London, but he may be better than him. While he didn’t excel as well as some receivers at the NFL Draft Combine, he has what it takes to go to the next level. Coleman finished his career with 115 receptions and 19 touchdowns, with the 2023 season landing him on the All-ACC first team. He also can be elite on special teams, ranking third in FBS with 300 punt return yards. Coleman is an all-purpose player that all 32 teams want on their team. Outside of the core four receivers (Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr., LSU’s Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr., Washington’s Rome Odunze), he’s my favorite, along with Texas receivers Adonai Mitchell and Xavier Worthy. 

Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan (2023: 44 total tackles, 26 solo tackles, 2 sacks, 2 FFs, 6 INTs, 2 TDs) 

It seems fitting that a Massachusetts native is one of my favorite prospects in the NFL Draft. Despite his 5-foot-9-inch, 182-pound size, he excelled en route to Michigan’s first national championship in the 21st century. He’s got the athleticism to succeed and can improve even more at the nickel corner position. He was initially a wide receiver, but cornerback ended up being a better position for Sainristil. Six interceptions this season tied for third in the nation. Sainristil earned a spot on the All-American first team according to The Sporting News, ESPN and FOX Sports. He can be a game-changer at the next level.  

Photo by Project 290/Unsplash

Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA (2023: 49 total tackles, 21.5 TFL, 13 sacks, 2 INTs, 2 PBUs, 2 FFs) 

Latu’s story is my favorite in recent memory. He began his college career at Washington in 2019, playing 12 games as a reserve. He would not see the field the next two seasons due to a neck injury that nearly ended his career. The doctors at Washington would not clear him in 2020 and 2021. He transferred to UCLA to follow Ikaika Malloe, one of his defensive coaches with the Huskies. At UCLA, he was cleared and had an incredible season to earn him a spot on the All-Pac-12 first team in 2022. In 2023, he led the nation with 21.5 tackles for loss and tied for fourth in FBS with 13 sacks. Latu won the Lombardi Award (nation’s top lineman) and the Ted Hendricks Award (nation’s top defensive end). He’s expected to be a first-round pick and will be someone I root for in the NFL regardless of his team because of his ability to defy the odds stacked against him. Zierlein compared him to T.J. Watt, one of the best defensive players in the NFL today. An AFC executive said he’s “easily the most skilled rusher in the draft.” 

Blake Corum, RB, Michigan (2023: 258 carries, 1,245 rushing yards, 28 total TDs) 

Corum ended his college career as a legend in Michigan football history. While this draft class isn’t high on running backs, I am high on Corum. He had an incredible 2022 season, earning him first-team All-American honors. In that season, he tied for fifth nationally with 18 rushing touchdowns. However, he missed the team’s final two games with a knee injury, including an upset loss to TCU in the College Football Playoff. While his career ended with no Doak Walker Awards (nation’s best running back), that 2022 season, with 1,463 rushing yards, was deserving of one. In 2023, he led the nation with a school-record 27 rushing touchdowns but was named a third-team All-American by the Associated Press. The Virginia native is expected to be taken in the third round according to his NFL.com profile, but his exceptional production and running after contact make him my favorite running back in the draft. 

NFL Draft schedule (all times ET): 

Thursday (Round 1): 8 p.m. 

Friday (Rounds 2-3): 7 p.m. 

Saturday (Rounds 4-7): Noon 

Watch/Listen on: ABC, ESPN (Thursday/Saturday), ESPN2 (Friday), NFL Network, ESPN Radio, ESPN Deportes.