Monday, May 6, 2024
HomeNewsCrown Day: Celebration of identity and community 

Crown Day: Celebration of identity and community 

Hair is beautifully diverse, encompassing a rich spectrum of textures, styles, and cultural expressions that celebrate its unique beauty and resilience. Photo by Jessica Felicio/Unsplash

Crown Day is a much-anticipated semi-annual event, happening once every semester. It serves nearly 200 students in its third year. This new tradition not only shapes hair, but also creates community. It’s a celebration of identity and support for Black and brown students. 

Joshua Brown, director of the ScHOLA²RS House Learning Community, said, “we finally served almost 200 Black and brown students.” 

The event faced challenges, from securing licensed barbers to finding sponsors willing to offer their services for free.  

“Number one was an idea I had. A question they would ask is what will this program do? We can get barbers on campus and student barbers on campus. Barbers have to be licensed too. Had to call up those who were willing to come to Storrs. Is this possible to have people come? Who is willing to help?”  said Brown. 

With the help of Student Services, UCurls, the African American Cultural Center and many more, this event was made possible. 

“I see the importance of having black hair care on campus and representing the uniqueness of black hair. As a volunteer, I was able to help my community on Crown Day,” said Trinity Stewart, a volunteer.  

Looking ahead, Brown envisions a campus where essential hair services are not just an occasional luxury, but a regular feature. He recalled his days as a student, recognizing the need for accessible grooming spaces.  

“It was a need when I was a student. I kind of want to ask y’all, what are things you want to see? There’s a student one, where students come to cut and braid hair. There’s a possibility I’m interested in how we can hold spaces for students to do hair,” said Brown.  

“I see the importance of having black hair care on campus and representing the uniqueness of black hair. As a volunteer, I was able to help my community on Crown Day”

Joshua Brown, director of the ScHOLA²RS House Learning Community

While licensing requirements limit some services, Brown explored ways to facilitate student-led hair care, tapping into the university’s past when a barbershop was a staple in the Student Union. 

Crown Day is carving out a space for confidence and cultural affirmation among students. Brown believes that such initiatives are pivotal in bolstering students’ self-esteem, which in turn positively impacts their academic pursuits. 

Nia Shields, a second year student who participated in the event, said it “helped me to explore more styles. I didn’t have to spend three hours washing my hair, which makes life 10 times easier.”  

As Crown Day grows, the conversation around inclusivity and student needs does as well. Brown’s efforts reflect a broader movement within the university to ensure that every student has the opportunity to feel at home, starting with the very crown on their heads. 

1 COMMENT

1. As I looked for a vehicle with more power and a bolder design, I explored the Mazda SH-90. The page at https://mazda-vidi.com.ua/ru/model-lineup/sh-90 offered extensive details on its performance capabilities and luxury features. The breakdown of the engine specs and the latest technological advancements provided a clear understanding of what makes the SH-90 a standout option. The site also listed different financing and insurance options, accompanied by exceptional customer support to explain these offerings.