HomeSportsWomen's Hockey: UConn splits home-and-home with BU

Women’s Hockey: UConn splits home-and-home with BU

Sophomore defender Leah Lum takes a shot during UConn’s 2-1 loss against New Hampshire on Nov. 8, 2015. The Huskies split a home-and-home series this weekend against BU. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The Huskies played a home-and-home series this weekend against Boston University. On Saturday, UConn hosted the Terriers at Freitas Ice Forum where they ended with a 4-4 tie. On Sunday, the Huskies traveled to Boston where they fell to the Terriers 3-4 at the Walter Brown Arena.

In the first game of the series, UConn (7-8-3, 3-5-1 conference) erased a 3-0 deficit in the third period, after Boston dominated the first two periods. The Terriers got on the board early in the game, with 3 goals within the second half of the first period. Despite the successful shots, UConn goaltender Annie Belanger had 17 stops in the first period. This was the sophomore goalies 8th start of the season.

The Huskies made their way onto the board early in the second period with a goal from Theresa Knutson. The sophomore had four points at the end of the game. Boston answered UConn’s lone goal before the third period expired. Knutson took advantage of a power play late in the third, bringing the Huskies back to life. Jamie Fox, a freshman for the Huskies, scored shortly after Knutson, her first college career goal.

Justine Fredette tied the game on a power play, forcing the game into overtime. Fredette also recorded four points in Saturday’s draw. The Huskies outshot Boston 33-32, but neither team could manage to score in overtime.

In the second game of the series, Boston again started the game with the lead. UConn answered shortly after, tying the game up with a goal from freshman Jordy Zacharias.

The Terriers managed to score a second goal to take the lead going into the second period. Boston extended their lead to 3-1 with a goal from Victoria Bach. The Huskies narrowed their deficit to one on a power play goal scored by Knutson, her third of the weekend. The puck traveled from Fox to Fredette before Knutson found the back of the net.

Zacharias tied the game in the third period, her second goal of the game. Boston scored their fourth and final goal a minute after Zacharias.

Sunday’s game was the last of the year for the Huskies. UConn will return to the ice on January 5th, 2015 at Northeastern.

Molly Burkhardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mary.burkhardt@uconn.edu.