Friday, April 26, 2024
HomeLifeDisney Channel to air 3-day original movie marathon

Disney Channel to air 3-day original movie marathon

Disney Channel has released 100 original movies, dating back to its inception in 1983 as “Disney Channel Premiere Films”. The marathon will last from Friday, May 27 to Monday, May 30. (Image courtesy of theodysseyonline.com)

To celebrate Disney’s release of its 100th movie, Disney Channel is hosting a movie marathon weekend to air its most popular original movies ever made.

The marathon will take place from Friday, May 27 to Monday, May 30. The 51 most popular original movies will play that weekend all day long. Beginning on Tuesday, Disney will continue to play its other original movies.

The marathon will begin at 10 a.m. on Friday with “Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama” and ends on Memorial Day Monday after the 3:35 a.m. airing of “Johnny Tsunami.”

In between, movies such as well-known “High School Musical” and “Halloween Town” series will play along with lesser known movies such as “Horse Sense” and “You Wish!”

I’m looking forward to watching 1999’s “Don’t Look Under the Bed,” a movie about the boogeyman. Disney decided the film was too scary for children and have not shown it in the Halloween rotation in recent years. I’m hoping they will make an exception and allow me to calm any leftover childhood fears, all while laughing at the prehistoric CGI; I’ll watch it at 3 a.m. if I have to.

I’m also eager to see “Smart House,” in which a computerized house has a mind of its own that was released in 1999, and the “Zenon” trilogy, about a 13-year-old girl who is forced to live back on Earth, which premiered in 1999, 2001 and 2004.

Jaclyn Paride, a sixth-semester business and psychology dual degree student, said that “Kim Possible Movie” was always her favorite, but “Halloween Town” was a close second.

The three highest rated Disney Channel Original Movies are “High School Musical 2,” “Wizards of Waverley Place: The Movie” and “Camp Rock.”

“’The Even Stevens Movie’ is my absolute favorite. I loved Shia LaBeouf when he was a child actor and the show was so funny,” Brittany Cangelosi, sixth-semester English major, said. “I also remember liking ‘Pixel Perfect’ because I thought the idea of holograms was really cool.”

Disney’s 100th original movie “Adventures in Babysitting.” About two rival babysitters who have to team up to find a lost child, it premieres this summer.  

The full schedule of the weekend can be found on ew.com.

Claire Galvin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.