Friday, April 26, 2024
HomeSportsWomen’s Hockey: Huskies face two Hockey East foes

Women’s Hockey: Huskies face two Hockey East foes

Freshman forward Catherine Crawley (97) lines up a shot during the Huskies loss to the Vermont Catamounts 4-2 on Friday, Jan. 27, 2017 at Freitas Ice Forum. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team will face Boston College and Providence College this weekend in games that they hope will help them improve their Hockey East record. Currently, UConn is 12-13-3 overall and 7-10-1 in conference play.

The Huskies will play Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Mass., on Friday. The Eagles are 19-3-4 overall and 15-2-2 in Hockey East.

Last time these two teams met was in October, when the Huskies lost both games in a home- and- home series.

The two biggest threats that the Eagles possess are Makenna Newkirk and Andie Anastos. Newkirk, a sophomore forward, was runner-up for ACHA National Freshman of the Year, Hockey East Rookie of the Year and a unanimous selection to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team last season. So far this season she has accumulated 30 points on 10 goals and 20 assists. Anastos, one of the Eagles three captains, has accumulated 29 points on 12 goals and 17 assists in her senior season.

The Eagles are a high-scoring team as they average 3.5 points per game.

After facing Boston College, the Huskies will head to Rhode Island Saturday to face Providence College for the third time this season. The Friars are currently 14-12-2 and 9-7-2 in Hockey East. The last two times these two teams met the Huskies lost by three points.

Bob Deraney, the head coach of Providence College, recently celebrated his 300th career win at the school on Jan. 29 in a game against Maine.

Freshman defensive player Whitney Dove poses a threat to the Huskies as she was just named the Hockey East Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week for the week of Jan. 23. So far this season Dove has five goals and 16 assists.

Junior forward Brooke Boquist is also a threat, with 15 goals and 10 assists this season.

Last week, UConn ended a five-game losing streak in a game against Vermont.

“We were happy to end the streak with a win against Vermont. We’ve started playing very well lately and our mindset is to keep improving and hopefully peak come playoff time,” UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie said.

Puck drop for the Boston College game is at 7 p.m. Friday.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu