HomeSportsWomen’s lacrosse home opener against Boston College

Women’s lacrosse home opener against Boston College

UConn defender Deryn Blaney brings the ball up in a game against Vanderbilt on April 16th, 2017 at the Sherman Family Sports Complex. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will face Boston College during their home opener Wednesday at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex at 3 p.m.

UConn is off to a 1-1 start to the season after their first loss on Sunday at James Madison. The Huskies lost 11-10 in the first ever NCAA women’s lacrosse game at William G. Tierney Field. JMU returns home with a 3-1 record for their first home game this Sunday.

The Huskies’ game against James Madison was competitive with almost even shots on goal (19-18, UConn). The Dukes led in turnovers 27-24 and 13-10 in draw controls. JMU and UConn each had 13 caused turnovers

Senior attacker Maggie Tripodi scored the first goal for the Huskies during the first half, her fourth goal of the season. Sophomore attacker Lexi Kenneally also scored her first goal of the season just past the two-minute warning of the second half.

Senior attacker Jacqueline Jordan led the Huskies with two goals and two assists, and junior midfielder Kelsey Catalano and sophomore midfielder Brooke Jensen both followed with two goals and one assist each.

Junior attacker Grace Nolan scored a pair of goals within the last three minutes of the game, putting the Huskies within one during the last 18 seconds of the game.

Nolan was named the Big East Conference Attacker of the Week by the league Tuesday with her nine-point start to the season. In her first two games of the season, Nolan has five goals on seven total shots, a 71.4 percent shooting percentage. She has also caused four turnovers and picked up four ground balls since the start of the season. She has been ranked No. 19 in the Intercollegiate Women’s Coaches Association coaches’ poll.

The Eagles are currently 3-2, with an 18-12 loss against Virginia Tech last Saturday.

One Boston College player to watch is senior attacker Kate Weeks, who led the Eagles with four goals and one assist against Virginia Tech. Junior midfielder Kaileen Hart recorded four points during her last game and scored her first collegiate hat trick. Sophomore goalkeeper Lauren Daily saved a career-high nine shots in one half against Virginia Tech. Sophomore midfielder Sam Apuzzo has 26 points this season.  

The Huskies and the Eagles will face off Wednesday at 3 p.m. at Sherman Family Complex.

Kristina Carretero is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kristina.carretero@uconn.edu.