HomeSportsSoftball: UConn will finally play at home against UMass Lowell and Hofstra...

Softball: UConn will finally play at home against UMass Lowell and Hofstra this week

The UConn softball team will finally play a home game Tuesday when they host UMass Lowell. They'll host Hofstra in a doubleheader on Wednesday. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn softball team will finally play a home game Tuesday when they host UMass Lowell. They’ll host Hofstra in a doubleheader on Wednesday. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The Huskies (12-15) started the conference play against USF in what was supposed to also be their home opener. However, the weather forced them to play at Eastern Connecticut State University.

After 27 games, UConn will finally be home to take on UMass Lowell at 4 p.m. on Tuesday and Hofstra in a doubleheader Wednesday at 2 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Kalen McGill stymied UConn during the 9-0 victory, who tossed six shutout innings, allowing only one hit to Devon Casazza. Jill Stockley struggled for UConn, allowing three earned runs in 1.2 innings pitched.

In the second game, UConn played to their strength: pitching and a little bit of power. Katie Koshes continued her dominance, striking out 13, which is her season-high, during the 1-0 victory.

Valerie Sadowl, the Huskies hits leader with 26, continued her success and knocked in the only run of the ballgame when she sent a ball over the fence.

UMass Lowell (9-13) has a stellar offense, led by Courtney Cashman batting .382. As a team they hit .273. The UConn pitching staff has a tall order in slowing them down, but they are up for the challenge.

UMass Lowell has three pitchers on its staff and they combine for a 4.40 ERA. The Huskies offense will look to get back on track against them Tuesday.

UMass Lowell won their last two games against Hartford when they swept the doubleheader. Cashman led the way for the team as she batted .571 (4-7). Kaysee Talcik tossed a no-hitter in their 6-0 victory.

UConn will have to be scrappy, as they have been all year, in order to score some runs this week.

Hofstra (11-14) is led offensively by Lacey Clark, who is batting .338 with four home runs and 12 RBIs. The pitching staff is led by Sarah Cornell, who has a record of 10-6. Cornell has an impressive 11 complete games, with two of them being shutouts.

Hofstra lost their last game against Towson 3-1 and Clark provided the only run with a home run. They will look to get back on track against UConn.

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.