Friday, April 26, 2024
HomeSportsVolleyball: Kayla Williams was a bright spot during a tough weekend

Volleyball: Kayla Williams was a bright spot during a tough weekend

The UConn Women’s Volleyball team put up strong sets but lost to Cincinnati 3-1 on Friday, October 6. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

data-animation-override>
She is so dynamic, we need her to become even more aggressive
— Head coach Kris Grunwald

Redshirt sophomore Kayla Williams continued to play effectively, fresh off being named to the American Honor Roll for the first time this season for her dominance last weekend.

UConn head coach Kris Grunwald said Williams possesses all the athletic ability to be a great player.

“The biggest thing that I was happy with, was that she was consistently aggressive,” Grunwald said. “Sometimes she can get into these highs and lows at points, but she stayed aggressive.”

This weekend Williams posted some eye-popping stats during the losses to Cincinnati and ECU. Against Cincy, she recorded her 9th double-double of the season with 21 kills and 10 digs. In the matchup against ECU, she came up one dig shy of another double-double, this time finishing with nine digs and 20 kills.

Grunwald said she will only get better as the season goes on and she gains more confidence to lead the team.

“She is so dynamic, we need her to become even more aggressive,” Grunwald said. “Whether that means more kills or errors, we just have to get her playing at that energy level consistently.”

Heading into Friday’s matchup against Cincinnati, Williams was ranked 27th in the nation with .46 aces per set. Williams added another ace in the match against ECU.

This season has included several injuries to key players, but Williams has been a constant that the Huskies have counted on to replace the production and has provided a reason for the team to remain optimistic. It has become clear that as UConn plays well, Williams leads the team.

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.