HomeNewsRed line bus route to resume service

Red line bus route to resume service

The Red Line will have two buses that arrive at their stops every 15 minutes during peak hours and one bus every 30 minutes during off-peak hours, according to a UConn Transportation Services Facebook post. (Courtesy/UConn Transportation)

The Red Line bus route will resume bus service to the University of Connecticut starting Monday, Oct. 30, according to UConn Transportation Services.

The line will service the W Lot, Towers, the infirmary, D Lot, Hilltop and the North garage, according to the route map provided by Transportation Services.

Transportation services has been unable to provide transit service westbound along Glenbrook Road or N. Eagleville Road this semester due to ongoing construction, according to Tanya Husick of UConn Transportation Services.

“This limit to access has resulted in all transit service from W lot being routed along (Route) 195,” Husick said. “Last week, the project re-opened access to Glenbrook which provides us the ability to re-institute westbound service via the Red Line.”

Blue and Green Line services have had an increased frequency this semester due to the reduction in services on N. Eagleville Road and Glenbrook Road, Husick said.

“In order to re-instate the Red Line service, which provides complementary service to the Blue Line for the Hilltop dorm area, the service frequencies on the Blue and Green Lines will change,” Husick said.  “The Green Line will return to a 15-minute peak service and the off-peak will be unchanged from the current frequency.  The Blue Line service will return essentially to the level of service provided last year.”

The Red Line will have two buses that arrive at their stops every 15 minutes during peak hours and one bus every 30 minutes during off-peak hours, according to a UConn Transportation Services Facebook post

First-semester management information systems major Andrew Taylor says he doesn’t usually take the buses but is hopeful for the new line.

“Although I rarely use the buses, this new line may change that,” said Taylor. “There isn’t really a bus that goes through the center of campus, so this new route may give me a reason to use the service.”

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.