Wednesday, May 1, 2024
HomeNewsDavid Litrico profile

David Litrico profile

Litrico said he is running his campaign on the idea that he wants to keep the school systems excellent and provide students with everything that they need to be successful.

David Litrico has taught for over 30 years and previously served on the Mansfield Zoning Board of Appeals. He is running for a position on the Board of Education with the Democratic Party.

“I have lived in the town and been a Democrat for many years,” Litrico said.

Litrico said he hopes to continue the support for education in Mansfield into the future. He said he wants to hear from the community when it comes to improvements to the school system.

“We have schools that are over 60 years old,” Litrico said. “We want to see what the people want, what they need and what we can afford.”

According to Litrico, tough decisions in regards to funding within the school system may come with the recent state budget cuts. Litrico said he hopes the right decisions will be made to benefit both the community and the school system.

“I don’t want to see anyone lose their job,” Litrico said. “Any cuts that have to be made will hurt, but we don’t want to hurt the students.”

Litrico said the town will make decisions regarding renovations within the school. He said he has some insight on how the decisions are made.

“Renovating the existing schools may be expensive. Building new schools is tough because we don’t know how many to build,” Litrico said. “What else does the community want to do? We have to consider the wants, the needs and the cost.”

Litrico said the town might face some obstacles because of the state of politics in Washington.

“We have a (United States) Secretary of Education who doesn’t like public schools,” Litrico said. “There might be a time when we have to deal with less money from the federal government.”

Litrico said he appreciates support from the community and wants people to know how hard the Board of Education works.

Bullets:

• “This isn’t an easy task, and we are trying to do the best we can,” Litrico said.
  • Previously served on Zoning Board of Appeals, has been teaching for over thirty years
  • Hopes to continue support for education within Mansfield.
  • Feels town should consider wants, needs and costs with proposed school renovations
  • Appreciates community support, wants people to know how hard Board of Education works

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.