Thursday, April 25, 2024
HomeSportsWomen’s Hockey: Huskies hit the road for two Hockey East matchups

Women’s Hockey: Huskies hit the road for two Hockey East matchups

The Huskies are coming off a three point weekend with a win and a tie over RPI. (Ryan Murace/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s hockey (4-3-2, 0-2-1 WHEA) are looking for their first conference win this weekend as they travel north to Boston University Friday night, followed by a tilt against Maine Sunday afternoon.

The Huskies are coming off a three point weekend with a win and a tie over RPI. Morgan Fisher’s 30-save shutout in game two earned her Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week. Briana Colangelo and Natalie Snodgrass both earned nine points so far this season and lead the team. UConn’s scoring defense is first in the conference with 1.67 goals allowed per game.

Success against BU has been few and far between for this Huskies staff who garner a career 10-24-4 record against the Terriers. Despite a 6-2 win against UConn earlier this season, the Terriers are struggling. Their season record is only 2-6-1, with a 1-5-1 record in the conference. They’re tanked last in the conference in scoring defense.

Victoria Bach is leading the Terriers in points with five goals and eight assists. However, Rebecca Leslie is the team-leader in goals with six on the season.

BU splits its goalies, giving freshman Corinne Schroeder and senior Erin O’Neil mostly equal time in the net. Schroeder is ranked first in the conference for goals against average, allowing only seven goals this season.

“We’re excited to get back to BU,” head coach Chris MacKenzie said. “I think we want to rebound from the last time we were there.”

UMaine’s Black Bears have been far more successful, earning a 7-5-0 record on the season, 2-2-0 WHEA. In career matchups, UConn takes the lead with 30-15-7 lead. This includes a win in nine of the last ten games played.

This season the Black Bears have pulled off two wins over ranked opponents. Tereza Vanisova is leading her team in points with 17. Her four goals and 13 assists rank her third in the conference for points. Brooke Stacey is the leading goalscorer for Maine, netting five so far this season.

The Black Bears have a decent goalie in Carly Jackson. She’s allowed 21 goals this season in almost 600 minutes of play.

“This is four points on the line, it’s going to be a hard battle,” MacKenzie said. “I’m excited to see what we do.”

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.