Wednesday, May 1, 2024
HomeSportsRodney Purvis gets the call

Rodney Purvis gets the call

Purvis will finally be getting a shot in the NBA. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

Within the Werth Family Champions Center, there is a banner listing all former Huskies to don an NBA uniform. According to reports from Joshua Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel, it is time to add a new name, Rodney Purvis, to that list.

Purvis signed a 10-day contract with the Orlando Magic, the parent organization of the Lakeland Magic, where he was currently playing in the NBA G-League. Rashad Vaughn, also a shooting guard, was on a 10-day contract but injury put him out of play, opening the spot for Purvis.

Purvis was having an impressive season in Lakeland, starting all 37 of their games and playing 38.4 minutes per game. In that playing time, he was averaging 20.5 points per game, shooting 42.2 percent, 38.9 percent from three on eight attempts a game. Purvis led Lakeland in scoring.

Purvis’ performance in the G-League recently earned him a spot with USA Basketball, playing in two FIBA America World Cup qualifiers over the All-Star break. In an 83-75 win over Puerto Rico, he played 24 minutes and scored 12 points. In the previous game, an 84-48 win over Cuba, he scored 14 points.

This is Purvis’ first year as a professional after playing three seasons at UConn, after transferring following one season at NC State.

In three seasons at the University of Connecticut, Purvis played 102 games, starting 77 and averaging 31.4 minutes per game, 12.8 points per game and shot 41.6 percent from the field, 36.3 percent from 3-point range and 63.8 percent from the foul line.

A highly touted recruit, he was a 2012 McDonald’s All American and No. 15 national recruit according to ESPN. He failed to meet many lofty standards in Storrs and went undrafted in 2017. He is the third NBA player since the beginning of Kevin Ollie’s tenure as head coach, joining Shabazz Napier and Daniel Hamilton. Ollie also saw former player DeAndre Daniels selected No. 37 overall in the 2014 NBA draft.

Purvis signed a partially guaranteed deal with the Orlando Magic in October as a means of getting him into their minor league system. The former UConn product will be the eighth Husky to play in the NBA this season.

Matt Barresi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.