Golf Preview: FAU Championship

0
4

The FAU Championship will begin Friday, March 23 and will be played through Sunday, March 25. (Flickr Creative Commons/T. Cowart)

UConn golf will tee off at the FAU Slomin Autism Championship this Friday at Osprey Point Golf Course in Boca Raton, Florida.

The golf team is coming off of a 14-place finish in a field of 16 teams at the Lamkin Grips San Diego Classic. Jimmy Hervol was the lone bright spot in that tournament for the Huskies, finishing T16 at -1.

Last year, the FAU Championship took place at the PGA National Squire Course in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. There, UConn captured a third-place finish in a field of 13 schools. Hervol finished T8 at +4 and Nabeel Khan finished T13 at +5.

Though they are playing at a different course this year, junior co-captains Hervol and Khan will want to repeat their previous success and set an example for the other UConn golfers in this tournament.

The FAU Championship will begin Friday, March 23 and will be played through Sunday, March 25. The tournament tees off at 11:30 a.m. and the first UConn golfer will be Rodrigo Sanchez, teeing off at 1 p.m.

Sanchez, Khan, Hervol, Nick Harrington and Drake Hull will represent the Huskies. UConn golfers Jack Boulger and Tim Umphrey will play individually.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.