Softball opens up conference play in South Florida

0
6

Coming off six weeks of tournament play, UConn will look to open up conference play strong against a USF team that is 21-5 all time against the Huskies. (File/The Daily Campus)

The UConn softball team begins conference play this weekend when they take on South Florida in a three-game series. Game times are set at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, 4 p.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. on Sunday.

The Huskies (13-16) have won six of their last 10 games, including a major upset win over the No. 7 Texas A&M Aggies during spring break. This was one of the biggest wins in program history and was the first win against a ranked opponent under head coach Jen McIntyre.

Coming off six weeks of tournament play, UConn will look to open up conference play strong against a USF team that is 21-5 all time against the Huskies.

UConn softball continues to be all about pitching, as they rank fourth in ERA (2.48), third in opposing batting average (.247) and fourth in strikeouts (168) in the conference. Junior Jill Stockley has proven herself the ace of the staff, leading the team in ERA (1.70), wins (6), complete games (8) and innings (82.1). As a whole, the team has a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 168-59.

Redshirt freshman Olivia Sappington has had quite the start to the season. She leads the team in batting average (.301), hits (25), home runs (5), RBI (14), slugging percentage (.530) and on-base percentage (.420).

Despite a loss in their most recent game to No. 6 Florida, the Bulls (22-13) are coming off a 15-game winning streak that dated back to March 2. USF’s biggest win of the season came in a 3-2 game against No.18 Michigan on Feb. 10.

The Bulls are an offensive powerhouse in the American, ranking second in the conference in batting average (.304), runs (164), hits (256), and RBI (153) and first in home runs (28) and total bases (384).

Junior infielder Lindsey Devitt leads the way for USF offensively as her batting average (.384) and RBI total (30) rank first on the team. Freshman pitcher Georgina Corrick has had a very strong start to her collegiate career, boasting a 1.58 ERA. She is also tied for the team lead in wins (5) and leads the team in complete games (4), innings pitched (62.0) and opposing batting average (.203).

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.