‘Chopped’ invites UConn students to apply for undergraduate episode

0
0

The casting team of the television show "Chopped," which airs on the Food Network, is currently inviting University of Connecticut students to apply for an undergraduate student episode of the show. (Barron Valium/Flickr Creative Commons)

The casting team of the television show “Chopped,” which airs on the Food Network, is currently inviting University of Connecticut students to apply for an undergraduate student episode of the show. (Barron Valium/Flickr Creative Commons)

The casting team of the television show, “Chopped,” which airs on the Food Network, is currently inviting undergraduate students, including those at the University of Connecticut, to apply to appear as a contestant in an upcoming undergraduate student episode.

“’Chopped’ casting is seeking culinarily talented and passionate undergrads to compete on a new special episode of the popular Food Network show, shooting in New York City (in) summer 2018,” “Chopped” lead casting producer Javier Bernard said.

A “Chopped” casting call said anyone currently enrolled in an undergraduate program with talent and passion and for cooking is encouraged to apply, regardless of background or major.

Bernard though a few UConn students applied to be on the episode in February, he’s hoping for more applicants.

“UConn is a big school and we’d love to know if there are any more students at UConn who are a great fit,” Bernard said.

Bernard said students who wish to apply must fill out an application online.

“The application is live (at) www.choppedcasting.com/special.php,” Bernard said. “We ask that applicants are descriptive about their passion for cooking and signature dishes.”

Bernard said students selected for the show are required to be available for a full day in New York City in late June.

“The episode date is TBD, 2019,” Bernard said. “The prize is $10,000 for the winner.”

Bernard said the show is hoping to receive applications by the end of March. Applicants that are selected to move forward in the interview process will hear back by the end of March or early April, he said.

“We are casting ASAP because we’d like to avoid any conflict with finals and classes ending,” Bernard said.

The invitation for UConn students to apply comes as the Chopped team is gearing up to produce a third undergraduate episode, Bernard said.

“We have seen and want to highlight undergrads’ talent and passion for cooking,” Bernard said.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.