Golf: Second at FAU

0
12

A golf course in Florida ((AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

UConn golf finished second in a field of 19 schools this weekend in the FAU Slomin Autism Championship at Osprey Point Golf Club in Boca Raton, Florida. behind a first place finish from Jimmy Hervol, who shot -15.

Hervol got off to a hot start in the first round, scoring six birdies and an eagle with zero bogies. The first round -8 was followed up by a -5 in round two and a -2 in the third and final round.

As for the rest of the Huskies, Drake Hull finished T6 with a score of -6. Hull started and finished strong by shooting -3 in each the first and final rounds of the tournament. Nick Harrington finished T21 with a score of -2 thanks to a great first round -4. Nabeel Khan finished T65 with +7 and Rodrigo Sanchez T73 with +8.

UConn’s Tim Umphrey and Jack Boulger, who played individually, finished T86 and T91 with +10 and +12, respectively.

UConn started the tournament hot, leading all schools after the first round. Then, Lynn University played nearly flawless golf in the second and third rounds to run away with the win by nearly 20 strokes. UConn finished with a five stroke lead over third place Jacksonville State.

Next for the Huskies will be the Coca-Cola Lehigh Valley Collegiate at Silver Creek Country Club in Hellertown, Pennsylvania. The two day long tournament will begin Sunday, April 1 and be played until Monday, April 2.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.