Women’s Lacrosse: Denver’s freshmen outplay Huskies

0
9

The UConn Women’s Lacrosse team takes on the University of Denver on Saturday, March 24 at Sherman Family Sports Complex. The Huskies lost with a final score of 13-5 (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team was bested by nationally ranked No. 23 Denver, 13-5, on Saturday.

In Denver’s first ever trip to Storrs, they significantly outpaced the Huskie. But it was Denver’s freshmen who really made an impact for the team. Freshman Quintin Hoch-Bollen scored five goals and one assist for the season and a team high of six points. Four of her five goals came during the second period.

Another Denver rookie who made an impact was Eliza Radochonski who scored three goals, tying her career best.

Denver put the pressure on the Huskies in the second half. The Huskies were outscored 7-1 in the second half. Four of Hoch-Bullen’s goals came during the second period. All of Radochonski’s goals came in the second half.

The Pioneer’s outshot UConn 38-24 in the game and 21-13 in the second half.

The only players to score on UConn were senior attacker Grace Nolan (2), junior attacker Caitlin Leary (2) and freshman midfielder Sydney Watson (1). Nolan now has 36 goals on the season.

UConn’s loss gives them an even 5-5 overall record and a 1-1 record in the Big East. Denver sits with a 5-3 record overall and a 1-1 record in the Big East.

Next up, the Huskies will face nationally ranked No. 3 Florida in Gainesville on Saturday.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.