Rainbow Center opposes transgender military ban, backs trans students

0
2

(File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Rainbow Center rejects the ban on transgender person’s participating in the United States military imposed by President Donald Trump.

“The proposed transgender ban contributes to a long history of anti-LGBTQ policies, which have prohibited queer and transgender persons from serving their country,” Rainbow Center lecturer Timothy Bussey wrote in an email.

On Friday of last week, President Trump ordered a ban on transgender people from serving in the United States military with the exception of certain “limited circumstances,” according to CBS News.

“This new policy will enable the military to apply well-established mental and physical health standards – including those regarding the use of medical drugs – equally to all individuals who want to join and fight for the best military force the world has ever seen,” White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.

Bussey agreed that military members should be held to a high standard, but rejected the ban as a whole.

“Of course, we want the military to apply adequate physical and mental health standards for all service members; However, statements like this simply contribute to a long history of pathologizing queer and transgender persons,” Bussey said.

In the past, four federal courts have overruled President Trump’s efforts to impose sanctions against a military transgender ban like this one. Bussey said that he doesn’t think this attempt will be any different.

“I believe that ‘Trans Ban 2.0’ (as it has been nicknamed) will be challenged swiftly in the federal courts,” Bussey said. “I fully anticipate that the courts will rule that transgender persons also have the right to serve their country through service in the military.”

Bussey also stressed the Rainbow Center’s pledge to back transgender people at UConn.

“The Rainbow Center also has a continued commitment to supporting our transgender students and community members,” Bussey said. “We look forward to contributing to informed discussions on this topic in the future.”

Luke Hajdasz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.