MLB Column: It’s opening day

0
16

New York Yankees right fielder Giancarlo Stanton hits a two run home run in the third inning of a spring training baseball game against the Atlanta Braves, Monday, March 26, 2018, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Todd Kirkland)

Say goodbye to your baseball withdrawal! Opening Day is finally upon us and we will see baseball every single day, deep into October. Our staff roundtable this week was focused on prediction for the season, so I’m going to take some time to look back at this offseason.

We kicked things off with the complete and utter self-destruction of the Miami Marlins. They lost Dee Gordon, Christian Yelich, Giancarlo Stanton went to the Yankees in a trade that was frankly embarrassing. I can’t even remember how many star players are gone now, that’s how completely unrecognizable the Marlins will be this season. On the bright side, the Mets will look better in the division and that’s what matters.

The Red Sox spent approximately 80 years trying to sign JD Martinez. By the time they did, Red Sox fans everywhere were shocked to discover that Martinez hadn’t already been on the team for weeks. It was anticlimactic and literally benefitted no one in the end. Also that was the only move the Red Sox made. I’m bored just writing this.

The Mets re-signed Jay Bruce but also signed Todd Frazier to replace David Wright who is in his, like, seventh year on the DL? Don’t get me wrong, as a Mets fan, I’d love to see our captain come back, but my grandma has spinal stenosis and she’s not moving around too great so clearly Wright should pack it in. The signing also acting as a bit of a diss to Mets infielder TJ Rivera. The Mets are overflowing with infielders and they’re young and they’re cheap so the move only makes sense if they really plan on winning this season, but they won’t. They just won’t.

The Phillies signed Jake Arrieta in what might just be the smartest contract I have ever seen in my life. He has to make a certain number of starts in order to achieve certain levels of his salary. The deal is short, which is good because the Phillies have lots of young talent that should be ready to go in the next year or two, but on the off chance they’re not, the Phillies have the right to reserve Arrieta if he opts out. It’s genius, really.

The Giants definitely made some moves. Evan Longoria left his longtime home in Tampa for San Francisco. They also pulled another franchise face, but this time out of Pittsburgh. Andrew McCutchen will no longer be sporting a Pirates uniform, and that’s going to look pretty weird.

The Brewers have showed up, pulling Yelich out of Miami but also pulling Lorenzo Cain out of Kansas City. The NL West has a new contender, I truthfully think the Cubs might struggle to maintain their dominance with Milwaukee breathing down their necks.

Speaking of the Cubs, they signed Yu Darvish to replace Arrieta. That’s just unfair. But Darvish has a history of pretty terrible postseason starts so at this point who really knows what the Cubs are going to look like come October.

That’s more or less the highlights of the 2017-18 postseason. I’ll be back next week, probably with injury updates. And probably those updates will be from the Mets. Enjoy your opening day, folks!

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.