Men’s Basketball: Hurley officially brings on Tom Moore as assistant coach

0
5

Dan Hurley speaks after he was introduced as the new head basketball coach at the University of Connecticut during a NCAA college basketball news conference, Friday, March 23, 2018 in Storrs, Conn. Hurley, who coached Rhode Island into the NCAA Tournament the past two seasons, replaces Kevin Ollie, who was fired earlier this month. (AP Photo/Stephen Dunn)

New UConn men’s basketball head coach Dan Hurley made his first coaching staff hire Thursday, officially bringing on Tom Moore as assistant coach.

Moore spent the previous year under Hurley at Rhode Island, and will return to Storrs after 13 years spent under Jim Calhoun.

“Tom’s coaching experience overall, but especially his association with UConn, will be a tremendous asset as we start this journey,” Hurley said. “His strong, longtime ties to high school and AAU programs in New England and throughout the Northeast are invaluable as we try to recruit talented student-athletes of high character. Tom was a big part of the success we enjoyed this past season and I’m confident we can bring the same kind of enthusiasm and excitement to Storrs. I’m delighted to have him join the staff.”

Moore spent 13 years on Calhoun’s coaching staff beginning in the fall of 1994, with his last two seasons as associate head coach. Following that, he coached Quinnipiac for 10 years, earning 162 victories and five national postseason berths.

“Since I first arrived here in the fall of 1994, having the good fortune to work under a Hall of Fame coach in Jim Calhoun, UConn basketball has always been extremely special to me,” Moore said. “The fact that I’m returning here with one of the bright, young college coaches in the country makes it even more exciting.”

Moore helped lead UConn to the 1994 and 2004 NCAA National Championships, and left Storrs with a 340-99 record. Now, he returns to serve under Hurley and help recruit in the Northeast region as the Huskies look to climb back into national relevance.

UConn has three open scholarships entering next season, as big man Lukas Kisunas was released from his national letter of intent with UConn Thursday. Kisunas joins guard James Akinjo and wing Emmitt Matthews Jr. as 2018 recruits to be released from their NLIs after Kevin Ollie was fired from the program earlier this month.

Hearst CT’s Media’s Dave Borges reported that the possibility of any of these recruits re-signing with the Huskies is “not very likely,” which would leave Hurley and Moore with three spots to fill entering next season.


Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.

Leave a Reply