Tennis: Men fall to Temple

0
2

Spectators watch the final between John Isner and Alexander Zverev, of Russia, at the Tennis Center at Carndon Park during the Miami Open tennis tournament, Sunday, April 1, 2018, in Key Biscayne, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

The UConn men’s tennis team was defeated by American Athletic Conference opponent Temple 4-1 on Saturday at the Legacy Tennis Center in Philadelphia. The Huskies dropped UConn to 4-11 overall while the Owls improved to 10-7.

Junior Jack McLister earned lone point, winning 6-4, 6-3 at No. 3 singles which marked his team-best 14th win of the season.

In doubles play, freshman Yili Zheng and junior Justin Warren picked up a 7-6 win at No. 1, but the Owls prevailed at second and third to secure the doubles point. Sophomore Brady Flanagan and freshman John Holtman lost 7-5 at No. 2, while McLister and junior Hank Hill fell 6-4 at No. 3.

“We had our chances in doubles and played some of best tennis of the season,” associate head coach Reinaldo Valor said.  “It was one of our best performance of the season and [I’m] very proud of how we competed.”

data-animation-override>
It was one of our best performance of the season and [I’m] very proud of how we competed
— Associate Head Coach Reinaldo Valor

Despite the team’s positive efforts, the Huskies could not find much success in terms of results. In singles play, Hill, Warren and senior Jonathan Edwards were all defeated in straight sets in and the decisive fourth point was clinched before Zheng and Holtmann could finish their matches, although each were trailing.

“Congrats to Temple, they were too tough today” Valor said . “Looking forward to next week and continuing to elevate our level.”

The Huskies will travel to Bryant on Friday and Marist on Saturday before hosting Boston University on Sunday for senior day.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.