Women’s Lacrosse: Fruitless effort in Florida

0
3
exc-5ac18dad562fa7a28abf09b7

Despite the snow in this picture, UConn Lacrosse was in warmer climates over the weekend when they fell at Florida (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

No. 8 ranked Florida proved to be too much for UConn on Saturday as the Huskies fell 21-8 to the Gators in Gainesville, Florida.

The game opened with UConn freshman Sydney Watson scoring the first goal with 28:38 left in the first and that proved to be one of the high points for the Huskies.

After being down one in the first few minutes, Florida ended the half on a 15-3 run, taking a 15-4 lead into halftime.

Things did not get much better for the Huskies after halftime. They managed to hold Florida to only six goals in the second half, but were only able to score four more of their own, ending the game with a 21-8 loss.

The Huskies’ leading scorer in the game was senior Grace Nolan, who scored four goals. Goalie Grace Beshlian played the first half, recording only one save in 30 minutes. Time in the goal was split in the second half by senior Madison Hooper and freshman Annie Carroll, the latter of which played a career-high of 15 minutes and picked up two saves.

The loss pushed UConn to a 5-6 overall record and 1-2 in conference play.

The Huskies have a chance to end their two-game losing streak Wednesday when they face off against Villanova at 1 p.m. at the Sherman Family Complex.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.