Talking Soccer: Carli Lloyd reaches another milestone with the USWNT

0
54

Lloyd’s resume is pretty impressive. She’s a two-time FIFA Women’s Player of the Year and scored the fastest hat trick in World Cup history. (Twitter/@ussoccer_wnt)

Carli Lloyd has been the face of women’s soccer for a long time now and she has recently added another milestone to her career.

In 6-2 win over Mexico, Lloyd scored her 100th goal, joining an exclusive club of players who have scored more than 100 goals for their national team.

Michelle Akers, Mia Hamm, Tiffeny Milbrett, Kristine Lilly and Abby Wambach are the only other members of this prestigious club.

All of them are American.

Lloyd’s resume is pretty impressive. She’s a two-time FIFA Women’s Player of the Year and scored the fastest hat trick in World Cup history.

Her goals took the United States to its third World Cup title and its first since 1999.

In an interview posted by the U.S. Women’s National Team Twitter, Lloyd talked about what 100 goals meant to her.

“It’s crazy, it’s been a long journey. It’s been a great journey,” Lloyd said. “For me, getting 100 wasn’t a big deal but I guess for two seconds I’ll let it be a big deal.

The USWNT has six players with 100 goals or more. Six! The only man who has over 100 goals for their national team is Ali Daeli, who has scored 109 goals for Iran.

Cristiano Ronaldo has 81 for Portugal, Lionel Messi has 61 for Argentina and Clint Dempsey has 57 for the USMNT.

It’s extraordinary how dominant they are.

At UConn, we are also familiar with a dominant women’s team that doesn’t get as celebrated as it should be.

Wambach has 184 goals for the USWNT in 256 games, that’s an average of 0.72 goals per game.

Lloyd and her teammates have led an awakening of women’s sports. They are demanding what’s fair.

In 2016, Lloyd, Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe, Hope Solo and Becky Sauerbrunn filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, suggesting the United States Soccer Federation was shortchanging them.

The New York Times  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/31/sports/soccer/us-women-soccer-wage.html compared how much the men’s and women’s team were getting from the federation.

This has bled to other federations such as the Women’s Ice Hockey Federation, who after months of negotiation, finally agreed to pay the women’s hockey players better.

Lloyd is a leader on and off the field and how much work she puts in behind the scenes can be seen with her success on the field.

This generation of women is changing things for future generations and with teenagers such as Mallory Pugh, who just scored her 11th goal for the national team, the future of women’s soccer is in good hands. Or rather, feet.

So congratulations to Carli Lloyd who is leading that charge and setting a precedent for women’s soccer players of the future.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.