Men’s Basketball: Hurley completes staff with Nebraska’s Kenya Hunter

0
4
exc-5acbfafe562fa79982ba5faf

Hunter joins Tom Moore (Rhode Island) and Kimani Young (Minnesota) alongside Hurley, who was hired from Rhode Island in March to replace Kevin Ollie. (Twitter/@UConnMBB)

UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley officially completed his staff with the hiring of Kenya Hunter, the university announced in a statement Monday afternoon.

Hunter comes to Storrs after spending the last five seasons on the staff at Nebraska. He has spent 16 years coaching Division I ball, including time at Georgetown, Xavier and Duquesne.

“Kenya has tremendous experience in some high-level programs,” Hurley said in the statement. “He’s very well-respected not only as a strong recruiter, but an extremely knowledgeable coach on the floor. It’s great when you can hire a man who you view as a future head coach and Kenya has that kind of ability. I’m very happy to add him to what I believe is an outstanding staff.”

Hunter joins Tom Moore (Rhode Island) and Kimani Young (Minnesota) alongside Hurley, who was hired from Rhode Island in March to replace Kevin Ollie.

“I looked at the opportunity that UConn presents for me, working with a staff that I’m very excited about, plus I felt that I needed a change,” Hunter said. “Obviously, UConn has a great tradition of winning— four national championships and one just four years ago. It’s recent, not outdated. You look in that practice facility and at that NBA wall, it’s a place where a lot of NBA guys have come through and paved the way. I embrace the challenge of helping Coach Hurley get UConn basketball back to where the people there want it and where it has been.”

Last season, Hunter helped Nebraska earn 22 victories and a NIT berth. He joined Nebraska in 2013 after a six-year stint under John Thompson III at Georgetown, which included two Big East titles and five NCAA tournament berths. He also helped recruit and develop Roy Hibbert, Greg Monroe and Otto Porter.

Hunter also spent three years under Sean Miller at Xavier, two years at Duquesne and five years as Director of Basketbll Operations at NC State.

On Monday, Hurley also filled two minor positions on his staff with the addition of Eric Youncofski as Director of Basketball Operations and Tripp Doherty as Director of Scouting/Video. Both were members of his staff last year at Rhode Island.

Youncofski will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the program, including input on all travel arrangements. Doherty will oversee the film production for the team, the film exchange with opponents and breakdown of film scouting opponents as well as evaluation of the Huskies’ players.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.