Softball makes a midweek trip to take on BC

0
0
exc-5acd489870a6adb3537540c5

Jill Stockley (2) winds up a pitch during the Huskies weekend series victory against the UCF Knights on April 7, 2018. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

UConn softball travels to Boston to take on the Eagles of Boston College for a 4 p.m. first pitch on Wednesday afternoon. This will be the 72nd matchup between the two teams, a series in which the Huskies hold the upper hand 44-27.

The Huskies (15-24) are coming off a big series win over conference rival UCF, grabbing two wins in a three game set. The bats woke up for UConn this past weekend as they plated 16 runs on 16 hits and ended their first win of the series by reaching the mercy rule with a score of 11-3.

UConn racked up the awards after an impressive series this past weekend. Sophomore Katie Koshes was named AAC Softball Player of the Week by http://www.collegesportsmadness.com, as well as AAC Pitcher of the Week for the second time in her career. Koshes dominated in the series against UCF, earning two wins in 13.1 innings in the circle. She struck out 22 batters and finished the series with a 1.05 ERA.

Koshes wasn’t the only Husky to be awarded for her weekend performance as fellow sophomore Chloe Kerns was named to the AAC Honor Roll, her first of the season. Kerns had an impressive weekend at the plate, going five-for-seven while knocking in four runs, scoring twice and hitting her first home run of the season in three game appearances.

The Eagles (19-15) are sitting in second place in the Atlantic Coast Conference and have won a notable 10 straight contests. Most recently, BC swept NC State in a three game set. BC will take on UMass Tuesday afternoon before Wednesday’s matchup with the Huskies.

Chloe Sharabba has led the Eagles offensively and will look to continue her impressive season at the plate against the Huskies. The senior leads the team in almost every major offensive category there is, including average (.373), slugging percentage (.618), on-base percentage (.474) and hits (41), and is also tied for the team lead in RBIs (18). Sharabba is joined by fellow senior Annie Murphy as the only two players for BC to hit for averages above the .300 mark (.339).

The Eagles are an experienced team as senior pitcher Jessica Dreswick has been outstanding thus far. Dreswick has 10 complete games in 23 starts with a very respectable 2.44 ERA. In her team high 135 innings pitched, Dreswick has a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 126-to-49 while holding opposing batters to just a .213 batting average.

After the Huskies take on the Eagles, UConn will welcome conference rival ECU to Storrs where they’ll play their third consecutive home weekend series. Next weekend will include Bark in the Park, when anyone in attendance is welcome to bring their dog to Saturday’s game, while Sunday will be the Pediatric Cancer Awareness game where players will wear gold accessories to raise awareness for the cause.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.