Website for ordering food with Husky Bucks under consideration

0
0
exc-5acd5f77352f53f7b7776a41

The Husky One Card office is located on the second floor of the Wilbur Cross Library. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s One Card Office is currently exploring the possibility of creating a website where students can order food from local restaurants using their Husky Bucks.

The website would aim to allow local restaurants to accept Husky Bucks without having to build the payment system into their own websites and apps, One Card Office Director Stephanie Kernozicky said.

“More and more local eateries are moving to online ordering, but cannot or do not want to build Husky Bucks payments into their own websites or apps; however, they still want students to be able to order online and pay with Husky Bucks,” Kernozicky said.

Second-semester psychology major Shivani Doshi said she would use such a website.

“I think it would make it easier to buy food and have it delivered because it removes the problem of having to separately purchase food… and you don’t have to worry about carrying around extra cash,” Doshi said. “It also would help keep yourself in balance as you can set a limit on your Husky One Card.”

The idea for the website came from a survey that asked students what they find important when ordering food online, Kernozicky said.

“[It is more] convenient to students that want to pay with Husky Bucks online,” Kernozicky said. “It would be more secure to have the student log in with their NetID and password to be able to pay with Husky Bucks.”

The current option for ordering food online is Hungry Huskies. This website and app currently includes 22 restaurants that offer delivery and 24 restaurants that offer pickup in the Storrs area, according to their website; payment options are cash or card only. 

If UConn students are content with the tools for ordering food online that they now have based on their responses to the survey, the website will not move forward, Kernozicky said.

If students did not answer the survey but want to share their opinion, the One Card Office invites students to email them at onecard@uconn.edu, Kernozicky said.

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.