Men’s Basketball: Guards Brendan Adams and Tarin Smith join program

0
2
exc-5ad3ee5c352f53c87a41148a

Dan Hurley, pictured at his introductory press conference, is starting to fill UConn’s vacant roster spots (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

New UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley landed his first two commitment Sunday, as class of 2018 guard Brendan Adams and graduate transfer guard Tarin Smith both committed to the program.

Adams had originally committed to play for Hurley at Rhode Island, but received his release earlier this week before following Hurley to Storrs. Upon his release, he was also pursued by Xavier and Seton Hall, but picked the Huskies to start his college career.

“It was really just the rich history and tradition that that program has,” Adams told Corey Evans of Rivals.com. “I already had a relationship with most of the coaches that were recruiting me from my first recruiting process, so there was no new relationship forming.”

The 6-foot-4 Adams, rated as a three-star recruit by multiple recruiting sites, is the younger brother of star St. Bonaventure’s guard Jaylen Adams, and will give the Huskies some size in the backcourt.

Smith, a 6-foot-2 guard who played for Hurley’s father at St. Anthony’s High School, averaged 12.4 points, 3.2 assists and 3.0 rebounds last season at Duquesne.

Smith started his career at Nebraska in 2014, where he was coached by new UConn assistant Kenya Hunter, but scored just 4.5 points in 17.6 minutes per game, prompting a transfer.

At Duquesne, he improved his game, and found himself pursued by Rutgers, Seton Hall and Oklahoma in addition to UConn in the graduate transfer market.

UConn now has one remaining open scholarship for the 2018-19 season.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.