Profile of incoming Nutmeg Publishing editor-in-chief Katie DePalma

0
6

DePalma is hoping to produce next year’s yearbook in a timely manner and increase the organization’s visibility on campus, she said. (Photo provided by writer)

Nutmeg Publishing’s 2018-19 editor-in-chief will be Katie DePalma, a sixth-semester communication and women’s, gender and sexuality studies double major minoring in English who currently serves as a writer for the organization.

Nutmeg Publishing designs, edits and creates the University of Connecticut yearbook, DePalma said. It also puts out a magazine that will sometimes feature sections of the yearbook.

“We hire writers, designers and photographers to go to events and take pictures, and we have a senior staff and an executive board that oversees everything,” DePalma said.

DePalma said she joined Nutmeg Publishing during the second semester of her sophomore year because she wanted to get involved with an organization where she could do something writing-based.

“I was the features editor for a journalism club in high school,” DePalma said. “I decided to join Nutmeg because it involved everything I liked about that.”

DePalma said in her current role, she enjoys working with people who contribute to the organization in a wide variety of ways.

“I get to work with writers, photographers and editors to make one product, which is cool,” DePalma said. “The people in Nutmeg are really passionate about it, which is great.”

DePalma is hoping to produce next year’s yearbook in a timely manner and increase the organization’s visibility on campus, she said.

“Getting Nutmeg more visible on campus is something I want to focus on, because we don’t have a lot of visibility, and a lot of people don’t know what we do,” DePalma said. “I want to focus on our organization and how special it is.”

Additional 2018-19 executive officers are incoming yearbook managing editor Nicole Sanclemente, incoming magazine managing editor Omar Taweh and incoming business manager Sagar Behere.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.