Profile of incoming WHUS general manager Amanda Minicucci

0
0

Minicucci said when she takes over as general manager, she hopes to continue hosting events for the UConn community. (Photo provided by writer)

WHUS’ 2018-19 general manager will be Amanda Minicucci, a sixth-semester ecology and evolutionary biology and psychology double major minoring in music who currently serves as the organization’s operations manager.

“WHUS is a student-run radio station,” Minicucci said. “We started in 1922, we became WHUS in the 60s and we’ve been going strong ever since.”

Minicucci said WHUS offers training in broadcasting and audio mixing equipment and has several departments, including news and multimedia. The station is open to students, faculty, staff and community members.

“We try to reach out to people from all different backgrounds to join a wide variety of committees,” Minicucci said.

Minicucci said she joined WHUS because she had been involved with music in high school and found that she missed it once she arrived at the University of Connecticut and began taking only science and math classes.

“I learned about the radio station on campus, and as soon as I walked in, everyone was all smiles and welcoming,” Minicucci said. “I’ve been there ever since.”

Minicucci said when she takes over as general manager, she hopes to continue hosting events for the UConn community.

“We offer free events to students throughout the year,” Minicucci said. “We have concerts every semester and we also have free speaker events. We had Jack Hitt from the New York Times come in.”

Minicucci said she also hopes to increase WHUS’ presence at UConn next year.

“I want to start planning throughout the summer so we can come back in full swing and offer a lot of brand new things for our students,” Minicucci said.

Additonal 2018-19 executive board members are Shira Tall, who will serve as operations manager, incoming promotions manager Isabelle Geller, Ace Ricker, who will serve as training director and programs director Bobby Bickley.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.