Men’s Basketball: Grad transfer Kassoum Yakwe completes UConn 2018-19 roster

0
1
exc-5ad69ea0352f5320d2ff62e1

Kassoum Yakwe (14) defending against Villanova's Josh Hart in 2016. Yakwe, the Big East's top shot blocker as a freshman, will transfer to UConn and play next season as a post-grad. (The Associated Press)

Kassoum Yakwe (14) defending against Villanova’s Josh Hart in 2016. Yakwe, the Big East’s top shot blocker as a freshman, will transfer to UConn and play next season as a post-grad. (The Associated Press)

The UConn men’s basketball team added the final piece to its 2018-19 team Tuesday as St. John’s forward Kassoum Yakwe committed to attend UConn as a graduate transfer, according to The Athletic’s Andrew Slater.

With the addition of Yakwe, UConn officially has a full roster. Yakwe, fellow graduate transfer Tarin Smith and incoming freshman Brendan Adams all visited UConn last weekend. Each of the three committed to playing for new coach Dan Hurley next year.  

Yakwe is a 6-foot-7 forward who spent his first three years of eligibility playing at St. John’s. Known for his shot-blocking ability, he’ll be a nice addition to a UConn frontcourt lacking depth.

Yakwe comes to Storrs after a disappointing season with the Red Storm. After making the Big East All-Rookie team as a freshman averaging 2.5 blocks per game and starting 31 of 33 games as a sophomore, Yakwe started just one game in his junior season and averaged 11.8 minutes per game.

As a recruit, Yakwe was rated four stars, barely cracking ESPN’s top 100 and receiving offers from Kansas, Syracuse and Villanova, among others.

Expected to graduate St. John’s this summer, Yakwe will be able to immediately contribute for the Huskies.

Josh Buser is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.